a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Whisker pole on a CP-23?

Started by mike gartland, December 09, 2007, 01:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike gartland

Anyone have any comments, positive and negative, about rigging a whisker pole on a 23 for better downwind performance.  I'm getting a little too old to worry about flying anything more than my genoas but would like to get a little better efficiency out of them when running.

Thanks

Mike
Mike23

curtisv

Mike,

I mentioned using a whisker pole on another thread.  Its a big help on a broad reach and does wonders when running.  When the wind is light and there are waves running is a real problem without the pole but not so bad with.

When single handing its a little tricky getting the pole set.  If you leave the tiller too long you may head up.  I've run forward, set the pole and then run back to grab the tiller.  A bit of a risk when 15 miles from the nearest shore but I'm still here.

An assymetric shouldn't be much harder to handle and I've considered adding one.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Bob23

Mike:
   I own a 23 and also want to set a whisker pole. Even bought one this past summer but never set it...the pad eye that came with it was too weak and I never got around to getting the proper one. I've toyed with the idea of setting a track on the mast instead of a fixed eye...might be more versatile.
   Anyway, a pole would certainly help in downwind performance. I must have gotten spoiled in my Seapearl days, flying wing-and-wing!
   Bob23

curtisv

Bob,

Quote from: Bob23 on December 10, 2007, 03:34:46 AM
I own a 23 and also want to set a whisker pole. Even bought one this past summer but never set it...the pad eye that came with it was too weak and I never got around to getting the proper one.

The best attachment is a spinaker pole mast pad eye.  The good ones have a substantial mounting plate with 4 holes for rivets.  They run $20-$40.  I just looked in the West Marine catalog and the 6-12 foot pole I bought a few years ago for just over $200 is now $385.  This sailing stuff is getting expensive.  $40 for a spinaker padeye seems quite a lot but that seems to be the going price.  Try Defender.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

mike gartland

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.  Looks like it would be worth the effort (and expense?) to install one.  I end up getting a lot of things from Defender because I find that they typically offer the most competitive prices and have a good selection of gear to choose from.  I'll comment back when I find the time to get the hardware installed and tested.

Mike
Mike23

Bob23

Curtis, Mike:
   Looking over my past Defender receipts, I purchased a 4 foot t-track, end caps, and spinnake slide for less than 100 clams from Defender. This gives me a bit of versatility in raising or lowering the slide position, as I'm not sure where to attach it- the boat is not rigged presently.
   Also, I think I bought my pole from Defender for a bit over 100 clams. We really don't need that large of a pole with our 23's.
   bob23 on the hard in NJ