a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Halyard turning block...

Started by kchunk, March 14, 2008, 10:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kchunk

Howdy 23 drivers! It's time for my weekly question. My Ronstan stand-up block mounted on the deck right next to the mast, to turn the halyard from the mast to the deck and then aft, has given up the ghost. Hoisting the main today, the bearings turned to powder. I'm trying to replace this block with the exact same to avoid putting any additional holes in the deck, but I can't find it anywhere. I assume it's original equipment and Ronstan has since discontinued this particular model. The block I have mounts to the deck by a 4-bolt diamond shaped base. The base and block are no way separable with out destroying either so the whole stand-up assembly needs changed. Any suggestions? Has anyone replaced their stand-up blocks? The Ronstan 40mm stand-up blocks available today use only two fasteners. Without measuring the hole distance, these blocks look like they may use two holes already in the deck. I suppose that would be about the best option...only having the fill two unused holes. Anyone have any input?

--Greg

Bob23

Greg-
   Maybe you could buy a new one from Hutchins? Might match exactly. My turning blocks have 4 holes in them. Don't know what kind they are... maybe when I crawl up in there tomorrow I'll get a photo off to you.
   Fair winds, Bob23 in NJ, "Koinonia" on the hard

Bob23

Greg-
   Just realized I don't have your email address and I haven't learned how to post photos on this site yet...a bit technologically challenged.
   Cheers!, Bob23

kchunk

I have two Ronstan series 40 stand up blocks on the way. They should be here today. Like I said, they only have two fasteners and hopefully they'll use two of the holes already in the deck. Or maybe I can figure a way to use the base from the original block. Anyway, I'll figure something out and let you know how it goes.

kchunk

I have my email in my profile. Just click my name and it should be on that page.

kchunk

Well, to put this issue to rest, I called Hutchins and spoke with Gerry. They don't have any replacement stand up blocks with the 4-fastener base. They had to switch when Ronstan changed the design. So, I have two new 40 mm blocks and the holes don't line up so I guess I just need to fill the old holes and start from scratch with the new blocks. I guess one small benefit, the new block are the same size (40mm) but they have a lower profile, standing about an inch lower...less windage! :D