a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hair line crack !

Started by Glenn Basore, November 05, 2007, 10:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

You probably provided an address of a thumbnail picture, not a full size picture. Open a full size picture from a gallery (does not have to be from this site, could be hosted somewhere else, such as Flicker) and check its properties.

AT

BTW, I have a similar crack at the transom joint at starboard side. It was there for a while, probably since the boat was new. It does not seem to affect anything.

BrittainMach92

Glenn,

My 2 cents on your transom crack...  Call Com-Pac today and email a picture for their opinion.

I would think that using the ladder would compress not expand the crack.

pcb
Winds Aloft

Gil Weiss

Two quick comments . . .

1- That appears to be more than a "hairline gel coat crack".

2- The norm is not to tow your boat with an outboard in place. The bouncing it takes out there puts unecessary stress on the transom and motor mount bracket.

I would consult with the factory on the cracks. . . Gil

Rick Klages

More than a crack,  looks like a separation of the "transom" at the trailing edge. Glen, Has she ever been rocked back while on her trailer? the trailing edge of the hull could strike the ground. It can happen if some one was to step or board aft of the trailer axle while the trailer was not supported aft of the wheels, or not "on the ball". Damage from that sort of accident might look like this. It's the equivalent of being dropped.  Prior owner damage?  Quick cover up will jellcoat? Most definitely call Com-pac!

Good news is that it's certinly repairable and I don't think you will need a second mortgage!

ick

Glenn Basore

Rick,

Not to my knowledge, in fact, I have climbed all over her while she sits on my drive way, all ways feel rock solid. my other boat all ways felt that it would rock back if I was to close to the stern, she never did though.

The previous owners said nothing of any damage to the boat when I was first inquiring about her, only saying there is no damage to the boat and the hull is water tight .

I know the boat was shipped to San Diego to the Com Pac Dealer and picked up by the (then) new owners who towed it to Arizona where I bought it.

The trailer shows no signs of damage nor the underside of the hull or any other surface of the boat.

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

I received a responce from Gerry (Com PAC) and I thought you might like to read it.

I was pleased very pleased with his response, signs of a good businessman.

Dear Glenn - These are cracks between the hull and deck joint.  It is not structural.  The seam is glassed together on the inside of the boat.  I can understand if it is unsightly to you.  It can be gel coated again but it will probably crack again.  Now we are actually glassing that seam before gel coating.  I do not know where you are but we would do it for you if the boat could be brought to us.

Gerry

Rick Klages

Glenn Basore

I appreciated Gerry's offer to do the work how ever, the distance from California and Florida is preventing me from having the repair work done by Com Pac.

Rick Klages

Yes but the cracks are only cosmetic.  Ask him if there are any special instructions for the repair.  Any "Fiberglass" shop should be able  to make the repair.

ick

Glenn Basore

I have a few shops around that I can have look at it, also, I have two club members who are up on repairs / fiberglass work on boats so I have a few options to look at.

Glenn Basore

Follow up  email to Com Pac on use of ladder and towing with out board motor in place.

Gerry says they use the swim ladder every day while working on the Eclipse in their shop.

He also says, the boat can be towed with the motor mounted, just be sure the motor is in the down position and secured in place.

hazelscamp

My Hull#4 has a crack also about three inches to the left of where the ladder crosses this area.   The crack on my hull is only about one inch at this point.   Looks like I will start using the step ladder while the boat is on the trailer instead of the boarding ladder.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Norm

Glenn Basore

Norm,

there is a product called Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure which can be bought at West Marine. I haven't used this as yet but I have heard good reports from my club members. once I use this I still plan on fiber glassing the lip areas.

I was up and down on my swim ladder all week end, seems fine. a lot easier than using a 6 foot step ladder to board.