a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Pennsylvania Newbie

Started by Ralph Erickson, October 06, 2004, 10:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Erickson

I am the proud new owner of a 1985 Com Pac 16.  Just purchased her and brought her home last Saturday.  Looking forward to participating in this group.

Ralph Erickson
CP19II #347
"Patricia Lee"
www.sailaway.smugmug.com/boats

Gil Weiss

Hi Ralph,

Congratulations on the CP 16 purchase  - you will love it!!! You will like this group too.  

I live in Bensalem PA, just north of Philadelphia and sail at Lake Nockamixon, near Quakertown. Lots of other CP sailors at this nice lake.

Where are you located and where do you plan to sail?

Ralph Erickson

Thanks, Gil, for the welcome.  It's a small world - I live in Zionsville, PA, just north of Philly, and will be sailing on Nockamixin as well!!!  Do you trailer, or do you have a slip at the lake?

Ralph
CP19II #347
"Patricia Lee"
www.sailaway.smugmug.com/boats

Gil Weiss

Hi Ralph,

I have had a slip for the past 6 years up there. I trailered a sailboat back in the 80's and never used it much due to the effort required. In my opinion having a slip is a wonderful thing! Yes, you need to deal with bottom painting, worry about storms, etc. but the convenience is worth it.

I believe they actually may have some available at Nockamixon. The small slips (20 feet) are a very reasonable $ 380/year. Another option there is renting a land storage spot so you can keep the boat rigged on its trailer. This still means launching and retrieving.

My wife and I use the lake and boat like a vacation place. The Com Pac is very comfortable to hang out on when not out sailing. We have also gotten to know lots of nice folks on our dock. We have ben up there every weekend since Mother's Day. Unfortunately it is time to haul out for the winter. We are not happy about this as we had a great sailing summer!

You might want to check this place out. The DCNR has a website with contact information.

Craig

Ralph,

Welcome to the wonderful world of CP 16s.  I had the privilege of sailing with Gil this summer.  While I now live in Indiana (grew up in between Newtown and Washington's Crossing) I have hauled my 16 back "home" and sailed on Wallenpaupack.  Anyone interested in a CP 16 floatilla sailing Barnegat Bay?

Craig

Gil Weiss

Interestingly enough, my family spends several weeks at the Jersey shore each year (mostly in Ocean City) and we have never spotted any ComPac sailboats?

If I wasn't so lazy I'd take mine down for a sail in the bay behind OC.

Craig - we are probably going to haul Steppin' Up out of the lake next week. We plan on going up Sunday for possible a sail and then take the sails, boom and stuff in the cabin home.

We sailed last Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We sailed more this summer than any previous year - probably due to great weekend weather and a long season.

Craig

Gil,

We spent a couple of days at Ocean City this summer, too.  We stayed in Absecon (cheaper motels) and drove, which meant we crossed Egg Harbor at Sommers Point every day.  There was a large cruising catamaran anchored in the bay the three days we were there.  

Anyway, each time I cross I think how much fun it would be to sail the length of New Jersey (from Sandy Hook to Cap May) following the intercoastal waterway.  I don't see any reason why a CP 16 couldn't handle the conditions as long as good seamanship was given priority.  The one place requiring sailing on the Atlantic is leaving Barnegat Bay heading south and entering Egg Harbor.  As long as tides and weather are carefully considered I don't see why I couldn't do it in Solitude.

Craig

Gil Weiss

Yep, your proposed trip sounds like fun. The key is the tide and wind. I have sailed the bay between Sommers Point and OC many times and you can find yourself feeling like you are flying forward only to be going backward. That's why I like lake sailing where there are no tides! I've had similar experiences here in the Delaware river. Seamanship and common sense are the key as you mention.

I'm going to get my trailer home today in preparation for hauling out for the season, probably next week. We are going up to the boat tomorrow for, possibly, a short sail before taking the sails, boom and all interior stuff home to make haulout day easier. It is pretty cool and blustery here - a 180 change from last weekend.