a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Best Swim Ladder for Sun Cat?

Started by cheapsyacht, October 15, 2007, 09:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheapsyacht

My 2001 Sun Cat does not have the factory transom mounted ladder.  It has a cheapie folding ladder that has the 180 degree hooks that are designed to be hung over the side of the boat.  The only place to hang this ladder anywhere near any kind of hand hold is over the gunwale just ahead of the gallows uprights.  This position is almost useless because this ladder has no standoffs so it wants to wrap under the curvature of the bilge about 20 degrees then when you add the weight of an old fat guy the boat heels enough to add about another 10d egrees.  Then you are on a ladder that has you leaning back looking at the pretty sky at about a 30 degree angle wishing someone would come by with a crane and a bosun's chair to load you on board before you fall backwards and drown in only 4' of water LOL...

I saw one post where someone said the factory transom ladder was not too good either because it tends to wrap under the stern making it hard to climb.  I have 2 questions:  First, what do others with the factory ladder think of it, is it effective or hard to use?  Second, does anyone else have a suggestion for a better ladder?  As always, thanks for anyone's input.  Dave...

tmorgan

The factory ladder has bolts in the hinge to keep it away from the boat so it positions fine.  You need to add steps to the metal rung since those tubular rungs are not comfortable to step on!

cheapsyacht

Thanks for the reply on the ladder.  I'm always in favor of keeping anything I own like factory.  It was nice to hear a positive comment about the factory ladder.