a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com-pac 25

Started by Hank Read, August 28, 2007, 04:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Read

Anyone have any opinions on the Com-pac 25? Thinking of buying one.

Thanks
Hank

Craig Weis

As with anything...hold the phone closer to the boat so I can take a look at it, just kidding.
Not much to go on in terms of THIS specific boat.
But generally I have stepped foot on two at harbors in Sturgeon Bay.
Here are my first thoughts.

1~Don't have to worry about rot in the hull nor deck or deck house, no core material like balsa wood. That's a good thing.

2~Cosmetics...may have taken a beating if in salt water or unloved in fresh water.

3~Barring any crisis such as a bent mast in a parking lot maneuver. Aluminum can be brightened up.

4~If you read posts under the '25 footers' I have one about what the Hunter boys said about the Com-Pac 25 at the all sail boat show at Navy Pier, Chicago. They loved it.

5~Ancillary equipment. Take an inventory. Take a condition assessment on each piece.

6~And last it is hardly trailable so do you need the TravelLift [made in Sturgeon Bay BTW] with all the bills that go with that?

7~How are YOU going to use the boat. Just day sailing or trips across the pond.

Give me some more info. Like deck to hull sealing. Any water stains? Compression post or hull distortions? I can't tell you how many times I have seen dents in hull caused by the shoring pushing in on the hull. Especially with Cape Dory's and Morgan boats. That is because THESE hulls are chop-gun fiberglass and not hand lay-up like Com-Pacs. Never a Com-Pac with a dent though. skip.