Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New owner

Started by vigsail, September 15, 2004, 06:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vigsail

Hi,
Just thought I'd drop in and say hi.  I'm a new owner of a 19 II -- having downsized from various larger boats and love the lines and sailing characteristics of the 19.
Look forward to participating in discussions etc..
Any words of advice for a new 19 owner would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
  Mike

Bruce Woods

Lots of good folks here.

I had a 19 for 7 yrs, then got a Sun Cat; both great boats.

For trailering, especially on good roads, don't unhook anything but the forestay...lay the mast down on the stern pulpit (have a towel or something there to rest it on). Gather up all the shrouds and stays and bungee them together...

Of course you can do more, but that always worked for me, and I went 100-150 miles each way many times and I recommend this.

I never took the motor off the transom, either...

So, make it easy on yourself, and you will sail more...

As for sailing, just go!

Regards,

Bruce

mgoller

Hi Mike,
I have sailed a lot of boats and one thing I know is the best boat is the one that best fits the way you sail.  Sounds silly but why get a great racing boat if you and your friends and family don't want to race.  Why get an open top dinghy if you want to overnight, stow gear, or have a place for a toilet.
If you want to day sail, or trailer your boat to another body of water for a couple of days a ComPac is a good bet.
Welcome to the ComPac 19II.  I think there are a couple of other candidates out there but once you have a ComPac you feel at home.
I am lucky, I live on a lake and can walk out and sail whenever I want.  I can trailer it a couple of hours to some pretty places around Michigan.
Well, there isn't much advice to give because the boat explains itself.  I haven't found any mysteries or oddities or goofs at the factory.
I repainted my rub rail with rubber bumper paint from an Auto Supply store.  Looks like new and doesn't seem to rub off.
I think the boat looks much better with the teak looking clean and bright.
I think modernizing the carpet on the sole is a good idea - don't glue it down just cut it tight and it will stay put.  I found outdoor carpet in a brown very low loop commercial looking ribbed pattern at Home Depot.
I bought cockpit cushions which are really nice but I don't use them.  Water sat underneath and got nasty, I would hop down from the deck and slip on them if I wasn't careful.  They live in the shed now.  I can't afford to be injured on a cushion.
I will get an Ida Sailor rudder this winter or make one.  I do believe in the virtues of turning with lift as opposed to deflection and drag.
The boat sails well with a reef taken if the weather blows.  Nothing macho about full sails in too much wind.
That's it for my wisdom and short experience.

vigsail

Thanks for the advice -- I will certainly keep it in mind.  I look forward to chatting with you all.
Regards,
  Mike

CaptK

Hi Mike -

Welcome, and Congrats!

I'll second Gil's words of advice about the foiled rudder.

I have and use cockpit cushions (Bottom Sider brand), but if I am not using the boat, they go below. If I stay on overnight, I stand the cushions on edge, leaning against the coamings, so that dew/condensation doesn't get them so wet, and the cushions and cockpit seats dry faster. I also have those folding Sport-A-Seats, and they are very nice.

A new one for you -  bimini! This is probably my second-most-used "add on" that I've purchased (the foiled rudder being the first). :) overtons.com seems to have the best prices. I saved $75 by getting the bimini with the cheaper fabric option (IIRC, it was called "Sharkskin"), and then purchased enough Sunbrella to redo the bimini and more, for less than half of the $75, so if you can sew (or know a seamstress), you can save some boatbuks that way. The cheap fabric is still doing fine after 2.5 years (3 summers now), although the cover is showing effects of UV and abrasion (my fault).

Glad to have you around!
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...