a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

old forums

Started by Bill Pfanstiel, August 03, 2004, 10:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Pfanstiel

Were the forums from the old website lost in the transition to the new website? If so ,is there a way to retrieve them? it would be a shame to loose all that valuable information.

CaptK

Hi Bill -

First of all - Welcome! :)

Are you referring to the Yahoo Com-Pac Group information? If so, that information is still there, it is a completely separate entity from our CPYOA, a part of Yahoo.com. I guess as long as they are in business, that info will be there. There had been talk in the past of someone maybe writing a program which would pull that Archive information out as a "backup" to Yahoo's databases, because, as you said, it would be a shame to lose it for some reason beyond our control. That topic has not been mentioned in quite a while, though, so I am pretty sure nothing is being done about it at the present time.

One thing I would like to point out about how I am approaching the setup of the entire new CPYOA website: I am using all Free/Open Source Software to do it, so that no matter who is administering the website, the community that is the CPYOA will *always* be able to freely and easily access the data which they produced with their input. With this website, there will be no vendor lock-in, and no reliance on the good will or good fortunes of some large corporation, to be able to always have what we make here.

Additionally, the software I am using has been around for a number of years, and has relatively large user bases. This should ensure that it not only remains available, but will improve as well.

As far as I know, there was not a Forum in this style in the previous incarnations of the CPYOA website.

The static web-page information that was on the older website is still around. I have copies of it saved locally, as does Mike Quigley, the CPYOA's previous webmaster.

Once I finalize the setup of the image Gallery software, I will be able to start putting that information back up. It's all part of "The Plan" for the new way the whole website will run. :) I'll be posting more about "The Plan" when I can demonstrate it to ya'll fully.

More than you wanted to know, probably, but I hope at the same time it answered your questions. :)

If not, just let me know, and we'll work it out so that it does.

Fair winds ~

Kurt
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

bsaulnier

Hey Kurt,

Just want to say that I hope that this forum becomes more popular than the Yahoo Com-Pac Group list. This is a much better format for finding relevant information. Good luck.