a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sheets fouling on Mastender

Started by Skip_956, September 25, 2006, 03:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skip_956

I have been sailing my Eclipse for 4 or 5 months now and just love it.  However one of its short comings has to do with the sheets fouling on the Mastender and lock pins.  Not only is this inconvenient but it can be dangerous under the right (or wrong) conditions.  I have done several things to try to fix this situation but they all have short comings.  This past weekend I went to Wal-Mart, bought an 8cup Rubber Maid container.  Used my metal snips to cut it out to fit over the offending area and it fits quite well.  I then used a wide velcro strap that I had purchased at Acadamey to secure it to the mast.  Went sailing in 15-25 knt winds, made many tacks and NO PROBLEMS OCCURED.  I know I will have other ideas to try but this one works great and because the container is clear is not as unsightly as you might think.  Just passing this along, if anyone has other solutions other than tying a rag around the mast let me know.

TR2020

Skip..

Sounds like a good idea for dealing with the mast snag problem.  My boat is in mothballs until after Thanksgiving when I will re-commission it for winter duty.  I will give the plastic cup approach a try. 

Tim

Skip_956

I will try to take some pics and post or email them to you.  Hopefully a better way can be found but I haven't seen it yet. 

TR2020

Skip...

I would love to see some photos of your mastender cover.  Also if you are taking some pictures I would like to see exactly how your boomvang is set up... particularly where the loop in the end of the line is situated in relation to the tackle. I have never used the vang for sailing... only for mast raising.  My sailing experience is limited mostly to lake sailing...  only for brief periods in between work assignments.  I hope to have more time this winter... to really get into some overnight trips and some ocean or gulf sailing.  I can see the need for the vang when running or possibly broad reach.... But not needed at other times.. Right?

Tim

Craig Weis

skip95s

I might try simply to wrap the offending area with pvc electrical tape.
It comes off without a problem and it is cheap and it is not metalic. skip.