a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

head and water tank odors

Started by charlotteopal, July 01, 2007, 11:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlotteopal

Just bought a 1989 CP27 in May.  Previously had a CP19.  We're new to head systems and water tanks.  Everything operates great, but both areas have separate and distinctive odors.  The waste tank was empty when we got her.  We've used various deodorizers and the same odor still permeates.  It is not coming from the bilge. 

The other odor (really bad) came from the water system.  My husband let the tank drain completely and then refilled it.  The smell is a little better, but I can still smell it when I run the faucets in both sinks, especially hot water.  It has a new hot water heater.  Any experience or suggestions on what to use for these problems. 

Thanks,
Suzie

Craig Weis

Two odors.
Fresh water tank.
Well I don't know. Fresh water tank vent tube is unplugged right?
Maybe some Clorox, and a full fill and drain. A few times. Let her overflow if the O/F vent will drain outside.
Do Not run the heating elements in the hot water tank flushing operation. If the tank is dry with elements 'ON' the elements will be toast!

Clorox [any bleach] works by lowering the Ph to about 4 to around 4.2
Might want to do some Ph paper tests. Pharmacy has the paper.
Bacteria can't live in Ph of around 4.

Interestingly Pepsi, Coke, and Pickle juice are all around a Ph of 4 to 4 something.
When I swabbed for bacteria in slaughterhouses we monitored for these Ph's.

On the Ph scale a 100 times difference is between numbers...that is 4 is 100 times more alkaline then 5. A Ph of 7 is neutral and going toward 14 is acidic.

As I have said, "The solution to pollution is dilution".

The head odor, same answer as above, additionally the cushions might be stinky having absorbed both odors as well. Unzip and launder these things?

I don't think I'm of much help on this. You know an industrial chemical supply salesman, say from DuBois Chemical might come up with a gallon of magic stuff. skip.

charlotteopal

Thanks for your input.  We'll try the bleach and more flushing.

Al Parker

Hi,
  I'm very late getting in on this, but maybe (hopefully not) you're still smelling it.  The earlier answer on the fresh water tank is right on.
  For the head odors, there are 2 things -
1.  the hoses from the head to the holding tank and from the tank to the pumpout fitting must be of high grade marine head hose, the white stuff, it's expensive, but the cheap stuff lets odors permeate (and maybe some seepage).
2.  Don't use seawater to flush the head.  Our 27 had a separate 5 gal plastic tank installed in the "hole", behind the holding tank.  It is filled with fresh water from the f.w. tank, and delivers fresh water to the head, rather than using seawater.  An easy job to do.  Leave an air break between the incoming f.w. fill line above the overflow on the new tank, for safety. 
  We have had no odors in the 6+ yrs we've had "Knot Home".
good luck,
Al
Knot Home
New Bern, NC

dvhartley

Go here: http://boatbuilding.com/article.php/MarineSanitationFactvsFolklore#marine

Use an Aquasana unit filter once you get the smell out.

http://www.aquasana.com/catalog.cfm
If you do nothing else add a Charcoal filter in line.

To get things back to normal use 5% solution of bleach and soak for 24 hrs. Flush and add 1/3 box of baking soda soak for 24 hrs.

I now fill the system twice a year with water and a pint of bleach.
I let it sit for about an hour then run water out through all the
faucets. Then I refill with water. All should be ok. If you have a hot water heater make sure it is off. You don't want the elements cooking with the water drained out.

It worked for me after I bought my boat, and it was rank in the H2O department.

spaul

There are many places and reasons for boats odors to eminate from. The above suggestions are excellent. I had odors too and found this site to be extremely helpful. The gal who runs this site also has a book that I bought and recommend to everyone they get it and keep it handy. It's a great conversation book as well as a terrific one of a kind resource. Peggy Hall is the Head Mistress.

Link to her forum:   http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/menunew.tpl?fno=451&uid=F

Steve Paul
cp27/2 "IM PAUL SIVE"

charlotteopal

Thanks for all the great info.  We've found our problem, a small hole on the bottomside of the waste tank (aluminum).  It was slowly leaking into the bilge.  Our surveyor missed this in the spring.  It apparently had a bad patch job that may have come loose in transit from MD.  We have had the hole welded and have replaced all the lines.  The odor is 99.5% gone.  Remaining odor in the head I think is permeated into the teak, etc.  We can live with that!   The bleach and several flushings has corrected the water tank odor.

Thanks everyone!!