News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

another port and or another adventure (cont.)

Started by mr toad, May 02, 2007, 12:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr toad

how does this insert to the itinerary sound to you guys
ocracoke -

bath - 2 nights - this is the insert - maybe leaving bath before the second night and find an anchorage between bath and oriental

oriental -

thanks - we plan to leave around june 9th.

rdeal

ramble on

It sounds like you are trying to drive me crazy - what a great Ccruise!!

Ramble On

dawntreader

Mr. Toad,

From Bath you'd go down the Pamlico to the Hobucken Cut (ICW). 
There are a number of good anchorages off the cut, including Gale Creek at the far end.  When you hit Bay River, there are anchorages in Bonner Bay, but it is way across the river.  Don't try Bear Creek without local knowledge (live there and keep Dawntreader there).  The entrance is an unmarked lock shoal channel that stymies even a C-23.  Lower Broad Creek has some great anchorages. 

Claiborne Young's NC Book is an very good reference for any gunholing 'round here.

mike

bob lamb

Dawntreader;
  I'm also looking to sail from the Bath area and would like you to describe the Hobucken Cut. (widths/depths/dangers/etc.)

Bob
Cp23d  "B'lest B'yond B'lief"

dawntreader

Bob,
Sorry for the delay in replying to your question.  The Hobucken Cut is the ICW.  Between the two creeks at each end, the ditch is cut straight deep and wide enough to pass barges.  It has great anchorages at each end (check charts on the Pamlico River end because there is some skinny water).  The cut takes you past Hobucken Coast Guard Station and into the Bay River. 

Get Claiborne Young's Cruising Coastal Carolina.  It is the best point to point guide that I have found. 

You can e-mail me if you have more questions, because I'm kinda hit or miss on the website.

Mike

Paul

RDeal/Mr. Toad:

So, it's been nearly a month from your estimated departure time.  Let us know how the sailing was at Pamlico Sound.  We're eagerly waiting. :)