a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Short shaft o/b for a Suncat?

Started by NormD, May 13, 2007, 09:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NormD

I'm picking up the new Suncat in 2 weeks ;-).
In searching for a very lightweight outboard of less than 30lbs, I have come accross the new Suzuki DF2.5. It's a 30lb 2.5hp, but only comes in a short shaft.
The 30lb weight is my maximum for physical reasons.
The bracket on the Suncat looks like it will go low enough for a short shaft.
Does anyone here have experience with a short shaft o/b on a Suncat?

Link to the DF2.5 http://marine.suzuki.ca/Products/Default.aspx?modelCategoryID=ModelCategory_Portabled&modelID=Model_DF2p5&province=ON&culture=en-CA

Craig Weis

NormD,
Here is an option that may be of interest but is a two stroke.
http://www.outdrives.com/merc/2.5twostroke.html

This motor is 2.5 hp, 28 lbs, shaft is 15 inches, internal fuel tank and maybe can be fed with an external fuel tank...leaving enough 'get home fuel' if the main tank empties.

Also we have 3.3 hp, 4 hp, and 5 hp. Some of these can be long shafts!
And the 2.5 hp has a lower list price $632 vs $999, turns fewer RPM's [last longer] and more propeller pitch.
My 5 hp 2 stroke Mercury is a honey. 

You can purchase a 4 hp, 2 stroke,  30 lb O/B for $698 list.

One last thing that has plagued the outboard motor industry in general is the run lean, run clean doctrine's...the cleanliness of the fuel. A tiny bit of dirt in the fuel metering and your sunk, 2 stroke or four stroke. so Pre~filter the fuel prior to delivery to the motor even though the motor already has a fuel filter...just a warning from my Mercury dealer.

Just a though. I think there are more service facilities for Mercury then Suzuki. skip.

tmorgan

I just bought a new SunCat and have a Yamaha 4 hp long shaft.  Both dealers I talked to recommended the long shaft.  With the long shaft, the prop seems to be at a good depth in the water.  I don't think I would like anything shorter.

NormD

Thanks for the input. I'm getting feedback from several who say the short shaft isn't advisable.
Now I'm looking at the 3.5hp long shaft Tohatsu/Nissan.

skip; I like the price of the 3.3hp Merc, but it looks like it's short shaft only.

Gil Weiss

The small Merc engines are made by Tohatsu  -same motor actually. I bought a long shaft Tohatsu 3.5 two stroke 3 years ago for my CP16. GREAT little engine. Light, simple and plenty of power. They appear to have been discontinued and replaced by a 4 stroke version.

If you can find a 2 stroke 3.5 long shaft go for it! I have the forward -  neutral shift too which is great for docking.

NormD

Thanks to all. I ended up with a brand new 2005 4hp Suzuki long shaft.$500 below retail sounded too good to pass up!
It's heavier than I wanted, but I figure I'll tarp the whole shebang, with the o/b on the bracket, while it's in storage, to keep out the weather and prying eyes. 

Craig Weis

Well your happy with your motor and that is what counts.
I glad we chipped in our two cents.

As stated I have a short shaft Mercury and to counter that...I re~made my swinging outboard transom mount to bring the motor two inches back to have more pull start room and two inches down to put the prop more into the water. Somewhere in the old gallery there is a picture of this. I realize the Suncat has a fixed mount.

When I go fwd to the bow I do hear the exhaust note coming out of the water when I dash up front to ready a line or a fender or some other thing.

At speed [he laughs] the stern squats a bit. skip.

cooter

Hi folks, Cooter here,
          I spashed my new Sun Cat yesterday and found that the reach to shift my 5hp 4stroke Merc long shaft was pretty difficult, is anyone else having this problem?  With the old 2 stroke engines the shift and throttle were in the tiller handle but I suppose the new 4 stroke technology  can't be built this way. On my previous boat I was able to rig remote controls in the cockpit for th 9hp evinrude 4 stroke for about $100 it worked fine however the local Merc dealer tells me that the remote kit for the 5hp is over $500 ! If anyone knows of an after market remote set up for the 5hp Merc I would sure like to know about it.
           The longer the shaft the better in rough waters, talked to a cape dory sailer yesterday who uses an Extra long shaft Nissan on his boat and is real happy with it, he claims that Nissan was the only ones making the extra long shaft motor.
                                                         Cooter

NormD

Well, I have yet to get my SunCat on the water due to a multitude of missing/broken/bent/stressed parts, thanks to the previous owner, but I do forsee some difficulty with the outboard bracket, both in reaching to make the said gearshifts, and with the stubborn raise/lower mechanism. I've lubed it but it is still stiff and awkward.
Rather than remote controls, perhaps a home made gearshift extension will help. Just a thought.

On another, but perhaps related subject, I designed and commissioned a nice steel, trailer mounted outboard bracket, which secures the outboard on the trailer tongue for trailering, and provides a convenient mount for the spare wheel on the opposite side.

I'd like to post a pic, but this isn't the most user friendly site I've come accross!

patch

i have a 6hp Suzuki 4 stroke engine on my suncat.works great.its a real gas miser.have not been able to locate a Suzuki dealer in my area,southern NH.it weights 60 lbs which makes it easy to put on and take off the motor mount.