a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard lift

Started by Scott Statz, April 26, 2007, 10:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Statz

I have an outboard motor lift that is not nice.  It eats fingers!  Any recommendations for a replacement?

For sale - outboard motor lift - cheap!

Scott Statz
On the Rocks
Madison, WI

Bob23

Scott:
  I have a suggestion: Keep your fingers out of the lift! Iv'e had the same type of lift on 2 sailboats and still have all 10 digits. Sorry, can't buy your lift no matter how cheap- I like all my fingers.
   Check Defender.com  item #302211 for about 150 clams. Looks like a common outboard motor lift to me. Cheaper than West Marine and certainly cheaper than new fingers!
   Bob

Craig Weis

Not that I need an O/B lift but I was curious just where does one sail the 23 in or around Madison? skip.

Bill Pfanstiel

I replaced the outboard bracket on our CP 23/2 last year. i purchased ours directly from compac. I told them that I wanted the same bracket that is used on the new compac 23. Jerry Hutchins was very helpful when it came to providing the measurments for the proper location. You will have to make a one inch spacer out of starboard, otherwise the handle hits the rub rail. Bottom line, the bracket works great. I use it to lift my 10 hp ,4 stroke johnson motor.It's almost effortless. Good luck in your search.

Bill Pfanstiel
"Sunpuddles"
1987 CP 23/2

Scott Statz

The boat is on Lake Mendota.  We have Mendota, Monona, Waubesa, Wingra and Kegonsa all here in Madison.  All are good for sailing.  Mendota is the largest and best suited for a 23.  Thee are quite a few fleets here.  Usually a fleet will congrgate on one lake.  The scows and cruisers take to Mendota and the cats prefer Monona...

The motor lift I have is a Garelick brand "Eez-In".  I called the company for parts and they said that they don't sell parts but will recondition any lift they've made instead.  It is a flat rate for each model.  Mine would be $80.00 plus shipping.  I've reconditioned it myself and replaced some of the worn aluminum parts with stainless. Seems to work OK now.  I still have to worn visiting skippers though.  Garelick makes a couple other models.  I think the one I have is really a low budget model for someone who wouldn't use it very often.

Scott Statz
On the Rocks
Madison, WI

Lost Lake

Well hello Archie, I'm your neighbor to the north on Lost Lake just outside of Columbus. I was thinking of sailing Monona this Sunday... Which launch could you recommend for dropping my CP19 in?

Scott Statz

Hello Lost Lake

If you have a motor your best bet would be Olbrich Park on Monona Drive.  Get off of Hwy 51 (Stoughton Rd) at Cottage Grove Rd.  Go West about two miles to Monona Dr.  Then turn right.  You will see the ramp on you left.  This is one of the busiest ramps in Madison but usually courteous folks about as you step and rig.

The east end of the lake is shallow (all sand).  If you put in here, head straight for the middle of the lake and make your way towards the down town area.

If you don't have a motor then I would suggest Olin Park which is near the Aliant Energy Center.  Also a very busy ramp.

All Madison ramps have nominal fees.

You should have a lot of fun.  Lake Monona has an unforgettable view of one of the most beautiful cities in the US.

Enjoy!

"On The Rocks"

Craig Weis

Hi, in somewhere in an early post I told of the modifications to my O/B lift that puts the short shaft 5 hp motor 2 inch further down and 2 inch further back from the transom. I have pictures of the lift in one of the galleries. skip.