a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sails

Started by carry-on, November 07, 2007, 09:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carry-on

I am looking at a CP 23. Appears from the registration and the sellers statements that the boat has not been sailed in 12 years. When I unfold the sails, they look strong, but the creases from the years folded in bags look permanent!
Would appreciate your experience with long term folded sails.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

edbuchanan

My experience is that the creases do not matter.  Our boat has an infrequently used heavy weather yankee (thick fabric) which has firm creases in it, yet under sail you would never notice them.

Ernie (Molly 23/II, 1984)

curtisv

If the sails were kept out of the sun they should be fine.  If they were stored anywhere where the sun could reach them they are shot.  For example, an uncovered sail in a garage with a window is no good.

btw - I had a sailboard sail in the garage for quite a few years and the biggest problem was that the mice eat a few holes in it.  I sold the board real cheap though and the buyer was happy.  First board (for both of us).

Creases should not be a problem.  They should straighten right out when the sail fills with wind and will probably go away after you sail a few times.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access