a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CLR 2024

Started by crazycarl, June 29, 2024, 09:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

Another CLR has been recorded in the history books. Like all history, the outcome is in the perspective of the recorder. This is how I remember it.
Monday's sail was hot, but very enjoyable. The bimini earned its place on the boat this week. Tuesday was a brisk sail with winds building as the day progressed. I returned to the marina before the strong winds arrived while the others battled the elements. Their tales of survival were shared at the evenings feast. Wednesday it rained all day so we stayed in the galley playing bags. Thursday was race day. We didn't participate to allow someone else a chance to win. 😉 Afterwards Joanie and I anchored in the shallows and enjoyed floating around and laying on the sandy shore. Friday I solo sailed around the lake enjoying beautiful winds and occasionally hitting 5 knots. I pulled the boat about noon to avoid the weekend crowds.
Well, that's all I remember. If you've been thinking about attending, don't hesitate, Steve and Sara put on a great event, and Sarah's cooking is second to none.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Fastdoc98

Sounds like it was a truly great time.  Unfortunately, work meetings and a trip to Columbus,Ohio knocked me out of coming down and participating.  I'm really hoping I can make it next year (which is what I said last year).  You going to make it back home ok with the trailer?  I saw your 'situation'.

crazycarl

After leaving Sara & Steve's we headed north to my sister's farm where we had lunch with my 2 sister's and brother. After saeveral hours of conversations we continued on to northern IL where we will spend the week with our 2 oldest daughters and grandchildren. Both the jury rigged and new trailer lights held on and are working fine.

crazycarl

Shout out to Sara and Steve for hosting another CLR. Sara is the real admiral in the planning, procurement, and  execution, with Steve suppling the comedy. (for those who don't know, Steve is 6'5" and watching him bang his head on Al's eclipse arch made me want to buy him a helmet)

I'll post pics when I make it home.

brackish

Hey Carl, thanks for the brief summary of the CLR24.  Although I hope others will chime in with maybe a more colorful and humorous version.  I miss tales of folding chairs in bow pulpits during launch exercises.  And with your significant racing experience and skill, it was very gracious that you allowed others to win.

Once again we thought about it and could not go.  Unlike other years, the boat and trailer were actually ready for a road trip and sailing adventure, however we were not.  Sheri had a surgical procedure on 6/5 and I followed up with my own on 6/17, both of us currently on "light duty", and each others care givers. In my case restricted from pulling, jerking, cussing or lifting more than ten pounds, all of which seems to define trailering and sailing at least our version of it.

So maybe next year.  Or, more suited to our age and condition, maybe we rent a small houseboat and act as the race committee boat and photographers.

rogerschwake

Another great CLR. It's a long drive for me and if I get the GPS to stop having me make two laps around Saint Louis would help. Leaving the anchor road on deck instead of stowing it, another mistake of mine. This causes it to wrap around the prop and with my luck a storm comes up at the same time. Had a bolt fall out of a brake caliper on the trailer on the trailer on the way home. Fixed in about an hour and back on the road again. Somehow missed Saint Louis on the way home so that was a good note. Came home tiered a little sore and ready for my bead. With all this and a few more things happening I still had a great time and am looking forward to next year. Thanks Sara and Steve!!!

ROGER SCHWAKE

kickingbug2

thanks to all who showed up. a special time for us. im firguring on taking rich's advice on the markers and maybe moving them out to 1/2 mile apart and possibly a three mile race. . more on im volunteering our boat for a night sail next year as well. we will have to do that for sure.  someone commented on the date {last week of june} could be changed since the marina seemed to think it was 4th of july week (go figure). next year i will do what i can to get us all together in the slips down front even if we have to change the dates. more on that later

Al

I haven't seen any activity here since:
kickingbug2 - July 04, 2024, 03:23:51 PM
is there a problem at this end?
  I'm about ready to post an ad, so thought I'd ck.
thanks,
Al
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

crazycarl

Finally made it home yesterday evening. Only problem we encountered on the way was another driver pulling a trailer. While ascending the Appalachian mountains he drifted into our lane and his trailer kissed our Compac 19. No damage, just a large black, roughed up area on the hull.