a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Never Too Hot to Sail

Started by crazycarl, June 17, 2024, 05:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

Began the day with a plan to install the new electrical control panel and depth meter, but it was too hot to work in the sun so...I went sailing instead! Left the dock hoping to sail into the creek but had to use the smoker for about a 15 second burst to clear the cove. Once in the creek proper, I headed east. It took me about a dozen tacks to reach the bridge, and then the wind was straight on the nose. Again I relied on the o/b to get under the bridge and into clean air. I headed to the town free dock and tied up between a Marshall 22 Cat boat and a Capri 14.2. After enjoying a fruit smoothie at the Bean I raised the sails and ghosted out of the harbor. Entering the Neuse river the water roughened up a bit, but nothing the 19 couldn't handle. I sailed past Lou Mac Park before tacking for my return trip home. The sail back was fast and downwind until I decided to turn to starboard to check out an acquaintance's Westsail 28 on Smith creek. Tacking back and forth was a bit challenging as the wind was blocked by tall condos and what wind did reach me was swirling. Slowly making my way back to Greens Creek, I was sailing wing on wing all the way back to our little cove where I ghosted up to our dock and stepped off.
Back in 2015 when came down here to look at properties, the realtor showed us lots on the Neuse and Bay rivers, but I wanted something in a cove. Now that we live here, I'm glad we stayed off the Rivers. Bringing a sailboat to dock in winds often reaching 20mph is not enjoyable. Yes, the water in the cove isn't very deep, and yes I had to pass on some great boats because their mast were higher than the 45' bridge clearance, but being able to step off the boat and onto the dock with the main still up and not having worry to about being blown around is very comforting. Our other boat is at the association docks and I every time we bring her in, the wind blows on our beam. Grrrr!

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"