a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suncat to Moosehead Lake Maine

Started by frank, June 22, 2014, 10:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank

If all goes well I'll be trailering 500 miles to Moosehead lake Maine tomorrow. This will be my 3rd time trailering there and will be heading home on the 3rd. It is a full day getting there and setting up so the few extra days  over the typical "week away" will be nice. Moosehead is an incredible body of water that I simply can't recommend highly enough to anyone looking for a beautiful gettaway. There is a funkie lil hamlet on the S end "Greenville"...complete with lots of dockage, eateries and supplies. As you sail N...cottages dissapear and you feel "remote" and close to nature. Its huge, full of bays and islands....a very interesting lake. If its within "hitting distance" for you....well worth the tow to get there at some point. You won't regret it.
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

GretchenG

Wow, that does sound great:  Maine cruising without tides to deal with!  Years ago I used to paddle on Umbagog or Richardson Lakes, but never got up to Moosehead.  I hope you had a fun trip, and thanks for mentioning this destination. 

philb Junkie19

I echo Gretchen's hope that it was a good trip.  Many years ago I worked in Greenville and had a 50's era Chris Craft docked there. Got on a deal. It had great old Chrysler 6 cylinder flat head motor that was the smoothest running little engine. Forty miles long, Moosehead is incredibly beautiful. Greenville used to be a major stepping off place for the Maine north woods with outfitters and numerous guides. It's still a base for float planes  bringing folks and supplies north.  Greenville is 2 1/2 hours from Penobscot Bay so one might be able to combine some of Maine's best fresh and salt water sailing in one trip.

Dave-in-RI

Old thread, new member. Frank, I grew up visiting Moosehead every summer to camp on Sugar Island for two weeks with my dad's old 1960s Crestliner runabout. How far up the lake did you take the Sun Cat, and did you have to sit out any heavy weather? That lake can become the ocean quickly. Was the Sun Cat an okay size to feel safe? Any pics? :)