a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Garhauer Rope Clutch

Started by Al, July 25, 2023, 04:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

My 2021 Horizon Cat came with 2 Garhauer Rope clutches, 2 sections ea., 4 clutches total.  3 sections (maybe all) have trouble staying "open" when released for lowering sail, etc.  I have tried disassembling, then reassembling with any slack taken up in the direction to encourage staying open.  That hasn't helped, there is very little clearance/slack to take  up. 
  I think replacement levers are available, but I suspect they would be no different, as mine have been acting poorly since delivery.  I have not contacted Garhauer about this, they do say they have a 10 yr guarantee, so maybe that's my best bet.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

Al

It's simple, once you know what it is.  I didn't consider all the possible reasons for them not holding 'open'. 
  There needs to be sufficient friction at the pivot point of the levers to hold them tighter and not 'fly open' with just a little a rubbing of the passing line thru the clutch. 
Ratty, to Mole

Al

It's simple, once you know what it is.  I didn't consider all the possible reasons for them not holding 'open'. 
    Just tighten the bolt that passes thru the assembly at the pivot point.
  There needs to be sufficient friction at the pivot point of the levers to hold them tighter and not 'fly open' with just a little a rubbing of the passing line thru the clutch. 
If I had been smart enough to call the factory 2 yrs ago, I wouldn't have been frustrated all this time.
  We haven't had enough wind very often for the last 2 mo.s, so I haven't been out much.  Did get out ystdy when predicted (and actual) winds were ~ 9-10 mph.  But it was about 94F and I was very hot when I got in.  Tomorrow has similar wind and just under 90F predicted, so maybe I can get out and tighten up those pivot points.
  I guess nobody else has had the problem, as there were no answers to my query on Tues.  Mine have done this since original delivery from the factory.
Ratty, to Mole