a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Taller boom/mast crutch

Started by dbybe, October 19, 2023, 01:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbybe

I am considering a mast crutch that will hold the mast and boom higher out of the boat.  I am 6'5" tall, and though I do not expect standing head room, a bit more clearance would be a lot more comfortable. Maybe a removable crutch for when I am using the boat, and then use the lower boom gallows for trailering. I am in a covered slip now so will be using it periodically with the mast down. Anyone have photos of there version of this.  Just brainstorming for now.
Don B.
'09 Sun Cat
Sacramento California
(Sun Cat avatar to follow)

bruce

Don, I was just thinking about this the other day for another tall Sun Cat Sailor.

The first option I saw was something I had done on a smaller scale, a saddle that slips over the top of the boom gallows and keys in a cut out supporting a boom crutch yoke on top. Lift it off and you're back to stock, no mounting holes. Assuming you want to gain about a foot of vertical clearance, for side-to-side stability the saddle will need to be at least a foot wide, maybe more. Probably best mounted centered on the gallows, so the boom et al would have to be shifted to the side for installation. At this point it's getting a little bulky to handle and store, and there's always the chance that the saddle is dropped during fitting or removal. A lanyard would help, but I see a better alternative.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=11925.msg89634#msg89634

The traditional boom crutch paddle design could be shortened so it doesn't extend below the gallows and mounted to the forward face of the gallows with two fasteners. If the top fastener was a fixed pivot, and the bottom fastener a removable pin or hand-tightened bolt, the crutch could be swung down horizontal and stored on the face of the gallows when not in use, and swung up and pinned to the give extra height desired. It could be off center enough so it could be pivoted up and set before having to move the boom over. No moving parts to lose except for the pin. A lanyard makes sense here, or some kind of latch to capture the bottom of the crutch in the deployed position.

Looking at photos of Sun Cats with end-boom sheeting, it doesn't look like the crutch would tend to foul passing lines, put this needs to be considered obviously. Might make sense to make a mockup out of plywood scrap to work out dimensions before cutting into finished stock.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

dbybe

Thanks for the ideas Bruce. I like the sound of the second one as you would not have to find a storage spot somewhere else in the boat. I will have to give it some more thought. I am back at the boat November 1 to do some measurements.
Don B.
'09 Sun Cat
Sacramento California

dbybe

I had a chance to put together a boom crutch that fits onto the existing boom gallows. I gain about 18", which may not be quite enough.  (I often use the boat in a covered slip with the mast down and the boom below the hinge). I was using some scrap oak so this is the maximum I could do with the wood at hand. The two faces are separated by the thickness of the gallows. The bottom spacer is shaped to fit the curved notch in the gallows, plus I added a couple of quick pins that go through holes in the gallows. I will post a couple of pictures and add some with it in place when it stops raining.

I will have to go to my laptop to add photos.  Could not figure it out on the iPad.
Don B.
'09 Sun Cat
Sacramento California

dbybe

Photos
Don B.
'09 Sun Cat
Sacramento California

bruce

Looks good, Don. 18" sounds like a lot, hopefully it will work for you.

I see you staged a Small Craft Advisor issue in your first photo, #138. I didn't check out which issue that was. My favorite sailing mag, but I much prefer my magazines in print. I won't be subscribing to the online-only version.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

dbybe

Bruce,
I probably do not need that much rise when I have the mast up and the boom above the pin. I am on the boat a lot when the boom is below the hinge and the mast folded.  In that case it is a tight squeeze for a 6'5" 250 lbs guy to get into the cabin. The boat is in the driveway now. (From my marina it is a 45 minute drive to the nearest Home Depot, and all my projects take a minimum of three trips to the hardware store). A couple more projects and then back to the marina. Next up; a hatch cam lock that keeps the hatch from sliding forward when trailering. Weatherstripping around the upper portion of the hatch boards to make them weather/mosquito proof, and the biggest/least resolved is a remote throttle and shifting on the tiller and motor steering linked to the rudder.
Don B.
'09 Sun Cat
Sacramento California

dbybe

Boom crutch with mast down.  Boom is below the hinge.  Used when I have the boat in its covered slip.

Boom crutch with mast up.  Boom is above the hinge pin.  Used when I am at an open dock, anchored out, etc. 

Crutch is designed to be installed one handed, including the quick pins that install from the cockpit side.  When I am sailing the crutch will be removed and stowed, since it will interfere with boom movement when tacking.
Don B.
'09 Sun Cat
Sacramento California

bruce

It'd give you better visibility when motoring as well. The boom in the gallows does restrict sight lines some.

I like to stand when motoring through the cove, past 3 marinas and mooring fields, to and from the ramp. About 1 NM. Better visibility and presence in traffic.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI