a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A Clark Mills Complete Circle

Started by dbybe, September 09, 2023, 12:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbybe

I just realized that my new to me Sun Cat was designed by Clark Mills, the same designer of my first sailboat in 1974, a Windmill Class sailing dinghy.  (With a Drascombe Dabber and a C-Dory 22 in between)  I used to sail the Windmill single handed.  Being 6'-5" and just under 200 lbs (then) the boat really moved and planned easily.  Now, with my Sun Cat, I am ready for some easy going sailing days with the tiller in one hand and a cool drink in the other.  Life changes at 73. 
Don B.
'09 Sun Cat
Sacramento California
(Sun Cat avatar to follow)

Jim in TC

Nice symmetry! The Sun is indeed an easy craft at our age...though my sailing buddy up the street considers small craft advisories to be the weather service's way of recommending a trip out.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

deisher6

Hey dbybe:
How interesting, I learned to sail with a Windmill #150 back in the early 1960's.  Probably not the best sailboat for a youngster to learn to sail, but a buddy and I and some books made it work.  I have owned a Snipe and sailed several Special Services Lightenings, none of which seemed to be as responsive.

Some of the lessons learned:  It is much easier to rig the boat on the trailer than at the dock,  oh yeah watch out for trees once you start rigging it in the parking lot:  the side stays were fastened to a bulkhead with what resembled a large stainless steel safety pin,  I lost one and replaced it with a finishing nail that I found in the parking lot.  The nail bent and the stay pulled out under stress.  It was the first time that I was ever dis-masted.

Good times.

regards charlie

Bub

Ah yes, the Windmill Class. Hot boat indeed! My sailing journey starts with a wooden Sailfish circa 1964, then Windmill #1674 In 1966, then several Sunfish, competitive racing, then a Snipe and an O?Day Mariner from early 80s till I bought a beautiful used SunDay Cat in 2018. Great boat but at my age I may reluctantly put her on the Market. All great memories, racing and cruising. Non-Sailors have no idea what they are missing!!