a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

I need some dinghy advice...

Started by kchunk, March 18, 2009, 08:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kchunk

I'd like a dinghy for our 23. Anyone with a 23 have a dinghy? I don't know what size to get. I know what size I'd like, but considering the 23 is a smallish boat, I don't want a dinghy that's gonna make my 23 look even smaller. I'm considering an inflatable, but then that brings up the problem of where to store it aboard the boat...plus a small inflatable can weigh 50-70 lbs.

Do you have a dinghy? And if so, what kind? and would you buy it again? Thanks!

--Greg

Shawn

Not much help but when I bought mine this fall it came with an 8' Pilot fiberglass dingy which is rated for 3 people. If I go on an extended cruise I will probably tow it along behind but most of the time it won't be with the boat. No place to store it on the boat of course.

I also plan on getting either a 2 or 3 person a Sevylor Super Caravelle inflatable with break down oars, 12v pump and a couple of hundred feet of line. That I'll stow onboard somewhere just in case I end up wanting/needing a dingy when I don't have the Pilot. For island exploring use the line to send a couple of people ashore then pull the empty inflatable back to the boat for the next group of people until everyone is ashore. Do it in reverse to get everyone back aboard. You can also get a motor mount for the Sevylor if needed. If you were planing on using the dingy all the time the Sevylor probably isn't a good choice.

Shawn

mrb

Shawn

Good call on the line for Sevylor

melvin

Craig Weis

Spend the $ and buy a Walker Bay. Made in South Africa of almost built Prof plastic with a roller at the skeg, I'd have to tow her behind with a long painter line so the dingy won't ride the ship's quarter wave. Use line that floats, don't need that getting tangled up in the prop. skip. Get a cover for the dingy so things can be stowed in the dingy.

My friend just uses an old aluminum fishing boat he pick up for a song and a dance at a garage sale, May???

breeze

Hi all, there is no perfect dink. I have tried most of them.

Some are hard, soft or a mixture of the two.

The hard dink is great for beaching or tying up to a piling that has shells on them. They can take the beating for a long time with only a small amount of damage, but you have to watch out, because it can mar your boat.  It is also harder for a swimmer to get back into it from the water.

The soft dingy or dink is the best for swimming from and getting on and off the boat.  Coral and oysters will rip this dink to shreds and beaches will wear the bottom out from under you.  Not to mention the pilings that are covered with growth.

If you choose one that has a narrow beam it will row well into the wind and waves, and keep you and your supplies dry, but having a narrow beam makes it harder to load things in and out.

A large beam boat is nice to load things and move around in, but they are very wet with a blunt bow and must use a small outboard to go very far.

Hard bottom dinks with soft sides are too big for the boats we are sailing but a great choice for a larger boat.

The redcrest style is a good dink but hard to row in bad weather.  It does work well with a 2hp outboard.

The dingy that I have now is a zodiac with a hard transom with a blow up keel.  This boat will row fairly well and the spray varies by condition.  With a 4 hp outboard it can plane and is not too much drag while towing.   I have protected the sides of the dink with a 2x4 hung over the side.  It is not perfect but does help for the cuts and scratches from docks and pilings.  This boat can be stored on the foredeck if partially deflated.

One of the best things about cruising with boats that use outboards for power is that almost all rafts will take up to a 10hp.

Now a trip across the bay to the store or fishing spot is only minutes away.

Happy Rowing, David

kchunk

David, thanks for the reply. I was looking at Craigslist and saw a 10' Zodiac up in St. Augustine. It has a hard floor. I don't really think that will work. I'd like something smaller and lighter.

On a side note, did you get the email I sent you a couple weeks ago? I had some questions about your diesel refit. Have you changed email addresses this past year?

--Greg

edbuchanan

Hi Greg,

I have an Avon Redstart 8 foot dinghy.  It has no hard transom, so it fits in the box under the companion way.  The construction quality is excellent and is still almost perfect after 12 years.  The only problems are that it is quite expensive and somewhat heavy.  I also purchased the hard removable floor (stored in a forward berth locker) which makes it more stable when loading from the transom.  Oars provide propulsion.

Ernie (Molly 23/II, 1984)

breeze

HI Greg,

I did reply.  The diesel conversion was about $5,000.  It was a very easy conversion.  The balance of the boat is better also.  I purchased almost all the parts from com-pac and was given the location for the engine.  I think I had about 20 hrs in the installation. The best part is that it has lots of power and that it does not come out of the water like an outboard.  Also the fact that I burn very little fuel is great.  I have a 35 amp charger so power use is not very important.
I should be down on the boat this weekend,  just got a new jib and roller ferling system to install.  I may stop by the Marina where you have your boat, for breakfast.

David

Potcake boy

Hey Greg,
I got my dinghy fixed, it was missing an O-ring on one valve.
If you don't recall, it is an Achilles 7' with soft transom and fold up wooden floor.
I have used it for several boats, and it has always provided good service. It's still serviceable at around 10 years of age.
As was previously stated (and which conforms with generally accepted boating principles) there doesn't seem to be a perfect solution for all needs but I have found mine to be the best compromise for a smaller boat. My biggest problem with a hard dinghy for towing is foul weather conditions. A dinghy in tow is one extra thing to worry about and can easily surf into your transom in a big following sea. A hard dinghy is far more likely to cause damage. An inflatable can be more easily brought aboard a small boat when needed. A rigid dinghy rows much better than an inflatable and inexpensive inflatables with no floor are very poor for rowing.
Mine came with a motor mount which I have never used and is rated for something like a 2hp max, and the total boat weight is about 35lbs.
If you plan on doing a lot of motoring in it and still need to stow aboard then one of the foldable boats may merit consideration. I've ridden in one and they are reasonable dinghies and can be stored on your lifelines which can inhibit visibility however.
Of course the real answer is to get a big boat with those fancy davits on the transom. It's just a matter of money my friend.
P.S did Wil survive the remainder of the winter?
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

kchunk

Well, yesterday I found an Avon Redseal inflatable down in Vero Beach. I called the guy and ran down there before it was sold. It's in great shape, he's the original owner, removable floor boards, motor bracket, oars, no reparis...$450. Not a bad deal.

Yeah, ole Wil is surviving the winter...

First chance them crazy northernes get they put the shorts on and act like it's Florida! hahah!

--Greg

Potcake boy

Greg,

Good show. That Avon in my opinion was a very good choice - I'm sure it will serve you well and the kids will love it. If you need a name maybe you could borrow one that I saw on a tender years ago "Row vs. Wade"

That picture of Wil is priceless - I guess that's Northern survival instinct.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

HideAway

I've gone the inflatable route before and while its nice not to tow something its not so nice to find your dink semi deflated on the beach and you have to row the mess back to your boat.   Then I found Chesapeake Light Craft has an 8 foot pram with a 4 foot beam.  Its a stitch and glue precut kit boat.  Its multi chine gives it suprising stability and the keel makes it very easy to row.  It has a sailing kit option which I didn't get but after sailing the boat I highly recommend it.

The pram only weighs 45 lbs and can be carried sort of on your shoulder.  Its bulk not its weight make it a two person job otherwise.  My only complaint it is the noise it makes at anchor.  The bow rises enough to let waves slap under it.  Seems I always forget to let the painter out far enough.  Anyway its easy to tow tied to the starboard cleat and it fits in the back of the pickup.  I have two rowing positions for it to better balance the boat when more than one person is aboard.

Matt
SV HideAway
Gulfport Fl
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

newt

I built my 7 foot dink out of marine ply and epoxy. It works good, and fits on the front of My CP-23. I have a picture in an earilier thread. Search for dingies.