Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hoist the colors!

Started by McNemo, August 14, 2023, 02:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McNemo

Hello everyone,
I'm the new owner of a Sun Cat, a 2014 that I'm in the process of getting sorted for cruising here in NE Florida. 

How many of you fly a burgee, pennant or personal signal aboard your boats? What method of attachment do you find is most effective?
Brian
Sun Cat - ARTEMIS
St. Augustine, Florida

McNemo

I thought I should also follow-up with a quick mention of my other boat. I'm the owner of an 18th century replica Royal Navy yawl,  which I sail using entirely traditional methods and materials.

With the Sun Cat acquisition I am entirely in uncharted waters here with this newfangled swaged wire and dacron. I feel kind of silly asking questions,  but I have never owned a "modern" sailing vessel until now.
Brian
Sun Cat - ARTEMIS
St. Augustine, Florida

Tim Gardner

Welcome to the CPYOA!  You'll find the "modern" rig sailors here will be really helpful. There are several active posters for cat-rigged boats that are more than happy to help in any way they can.
Rgds, TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

bruce

Thanks, Tim, for this reminder!

On my PC I fly a burgee as my primary wind indicator. I turned a length of 3/4" acetal rod for the details. Originally I cut
3/8 x 16 threads directly into the acetal, but that broke off one day when the mast came down a bit too hard on the gallows. I use 316 SS 3/8 x 16 threaded rod these days, tapped into the pole and the cast end cap on the mast. Other than that, I've been happy with the rig.

The clips are Taylor Made 57925 Charlvoix Antenna/Burgee Clips.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

bruce

If you plan to leave the mast up, you could always run a flag halyard up a shroud, or the mast if you wanted another line up there. At the masthead, probably best to fly it from a fixed staff to better clear the gaff, or you could use a traditional pigstick.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI