News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Torqueedo Owners: how big a problem is this?

Started by Jim in TC, July 23, 2023, 04:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim in TC

I pulled my Torqueedo 1003L off the boat today (we are in a slip) to see what happened to the tilt lever (it no longer latched, and there was a small splash as I tilted it up - more on that in a minute). My attention went to the gap between the shaft housing and the lower unit, about wide enough for 2 note-pad sized cardboard pieces. It is pretty loose as well. Clearly the lower unit is not compromised or leaking as it runs fine. I will be in touch with Torqueedo service folks tomorrow, Monday, but wonder if anyone here has run into this issue and what you made of it.

The tilt lever broke off the hooking bit (second time, actually, but caught all the parts and welded it together last time). Will need to replace the part - the splash was in deep water.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

bruce

I'm experiencing something similar with my Spirit 1.0. The foiled fairing slides up and down on the center tube, and the total combined gap at the top and bottom has increased about an 1/8", now about 1/4" total. I'm not experiencing problems with the motor, so I assume the seals down there are good. I expect I can tighten the gap from the top end, but I haven't pursued that yet.

In reply #7 of this thread I posted a few photos of the Torqeedo 1003L I had on loan in 2019. Looks like the gap was about 1/4" at the top. I think the fairing slides up and down on the Torqeedo as well. It may be those holes in the head bracketing the tube are fasteners that can be loosened and tube tube shifted up a bit, taking care not to stress the wires running inside.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg86769#msg86769

Let me know what Torqeedo says if you do call.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

There is a local dealer for Torqueedo, I have learned, but their service department is not set up to do this kind of work. The guy I talked to about it, though, has an older yet motor (mine is 2018, his 2015), same model. We agreed that sealing (with silicone) the gap would help, and I think a pipe tape over that, and/or a very sticky and thick rubber tape I have to offer a bit of structural integrity to the seal might get me through the season. The local folks would send it off to a service center in Illinois (to whom I also have a call, not yet returned). I expect to just get the tilting lever parts from them and send it off for some rebuilding in the fall.

There is also the possibility that I would upgrade to the upgraded newer model if repairs are particularly costly but I would want to find a "motor only" option (I have two high capacity batteries that I believe are compatible) so would like to avoid getting yet another battery. I have not, so far, seen a motor only option from any dealers but have not fully explored that.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Jim in TC

Having heard back, now, from the Torqueedo service center: this is apparently not too unusual, and the service guy did not think there was any risk to continued use of the motor. I will still mend it to some extent, then send it in for service after the sailing season. It turns out they recommend service every 5 years anyway, mostly for new gaskets. At 6 years, it is a little past time.

As for the tilting lever, they now suggest that a motor tipped up out of the water while under way have the battery taken off to reduce weight and pressure on the lever. That is not going to happen, and he agreed that just having another lever on hand to replace as needed was a good plan. I will also tighten up the hook I use to prevent the motor tipping sideways in heavier wave action. This should also relieve that pressure quite a bit. This suggestion for a tipped up motor is not in the manual from 6 years ago, would be interesting to see if it is now.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

bruce

Thanks Jim, good to know.

Yeah, taking the battery off to tilt the motor isn't realistic. At least the Spirit batteries float, or so they claim. I'm not going to test that. New task underway: Battery overboard drills.

It does look like the 1003 batteries are compatible with the new 1103 motors. Requiring new batteries wouldn't play well with current owners.
https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/accessories/spare-batteries/battery-915-wh-for-travel/1148-00.html
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI