a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Water under stair

Started by Annie, October 23, 2006, 04:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annie

I am a new owner of a used Sun Cat which is in excellent condition except that the area under the step in the cabin holds water. Having previously owned a Flying Scot, I am not familiar with bilges. However, I don't believe this problem is related to the bilge. I regularly sponge the water out, but I don't know where it is coming from. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

HORI

Annie
Did you try to use a bilge pump? I think if the water is very few and bilge pump does not work for such a few water, that caused by rain or humidity.
Are you mooring or trailering? My boat broker told that previous owner, moored her, had tons of water in cabin area sometimes. But condition was good and purchased then, I pulled her out from the water and keep her on trailer. Very beginning, I thought if the boat had leaking, and I checked bilge everytime after sailing but could not find any. I sometimes find little water after rain and just swipe them out.  If you think that you are in same situation like me, there is no problem. You only need an awning.
Mooring Sun Cat, it is kind of sorry for her. I guess after typhoon (May be hurricane in your country), she gets tons of water and need pump them out by using bilge pump. Does this help you?

Bilge, we call "AKA" in Japanese. d(^_^)!

Annie

Thank you for your response. I have tried the bilge (AKA) pump, but it doesn't seem to affect the water retention under the stair. The boat is usually moored (although now she is in a covered storage barn for winter). The cabin is water tight, so I don't think rain is the culprit. Perhaps it has something to do with the centerboard?

HORI

I am sorry the problem is not so easy like that I thought. I still do not have experience w/leakage. I hope if anybody has experience.

NormD

Quote from: Annie on October 25, 2006, 06:38:10 AM
Thank you for your response. I have tried the bilge (AKA) pump, but it doesn't seem to affect the water retention under the stair. The boat is usually moored (although now she is in a covered storage barn for winter). The cabin is water tight, so I don't think rain is the culprit. Perhaps it has something to do with the centerboard?

Maybe try a call to the factory and see if they have any suggestions. There has been some talk of CB trunk leaks but I'm not up on the details.

john walker

annie, i have a suncat, never a drop of water comes in, if i had to guess, which i am, it's the centerboard pivot bolt that's leaking, there are rubber washer's on each side, tighten that pivot boilt up, can't hurt a thing, may help. johnny walker

essenbee

Annie,
Have you had any success in solving the water coming in under the stairs?  What was the resolution.
essenbee

patch

my 03 suncat has water under the plate over the centerboard.how do i go about installing a bilge pump rather be safe then sorry.boat is wired.so hook up is no problem.

Craig Weis

Ann, button her up and have somebody hose the boat down while you crawl around with a flashlight and towel. skip.