a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Missing sailstop

Started by DavidV, September 08, 2021, 07:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidV

i am missing the sailstop on my 16. Are these generic or specific to the Compac mast?

crazycarl

You can get them at most marine outlets.  I always have at least 2 on board.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

And Carl, can you tell our studio audience why is it that you have 2 on board?

crazycarl

Yes, that will work.  Is that the cheapest you can find?  I think I paid $10 for each of mine.

Bob, I have a habit of losing things overboard.  Also forgetting where I placed things. I used to be very organized, now somedays I wake up not nowing where I am.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

DavidV

Cheapest online with no marine supply near enough to get to in the next day or so. that's for 2 and I only bought one.

brackish

if you are using it to keep your mainsail slides above the exit gate you might consider this modification.  Much quicker and easier to use, impossible to drop and lose overboard, cost about five bucks when I bought it from McMaster Carr.  After losing a few of those ten buck sailstops, I installed it.

DavidV

Well i may have to resort to that because the Davis stop I got from Amazon does not fit! All I'm trying to do is keep the boom from dropping when I lower the mainsail.

DavidV

A file to the threads solved the fit problem.

brackish

Well, I use the rig I've shown to keep the slides above the gate which is great for reefing, fast and not subject to any part losses, but I still use the sailstop below to hold the boom up.  However, I'm planning to put a semi permanent stop there also since every so often the Davis sail stop will loosen and the boom will fall anyway.  I'm not a fan of Davis Sailstops.

John Windsor

Newb here.  I too ordered the McMaster Carr quick release pin.  Part #94975a174.  Got 2 of them for what one davis sailstop cost.