a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Looking for a 27?

Started by crazycarl, April 14, 2023, 10:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

I'm not affiliated with this boat in any way, just posting it for those looking for a 27.
This boat is about 20 minutes from me and if I didn't already have a boat, I'd be looking at it tomorrow.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/new-bern-1987-com-pac-27-sailboat/7610437566.html
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

deisher6

That is "Otter"  the only 5 holer, port holes per side of the coach roof, C-27 around.  I have sailed on her a couple of years ago and she is a good '27.  I also have met the current skipper / restorer, he does good work.
regards charlie

crazycarl

Why is it when I was looking for a Compac 27, I couldn't find one?  Now that I have a boat, and just moved into our new house with lots of expenses coming up, I find one and it's so close?
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Deano

Thanks, in part, to what I consider your positive comments about the boat and the seller I decided to come take a look at it yesterday.  Spent a lot of time with the owner going through everything and I just bought her today.

II'll be picking up where the previous owner left off and continue to work on it, but mostly plan to sail it. I'll be keeping her in New Bern.
1987 Com-pac 27,  "Otter"
1985 Com-pac 23,  "Ben-Mark II"
1994 Catalina 22,    "Blue Note"

deisher6

Congratulations Deano:  Hope that you enjoy Otter.  Hope to see you on the upper Neuse sometime.
regards charlie

Deano

Thanks Charlie!  Look forward to meeting you sometime. Took her out yesterday with the previous owner and the owner before him and we had a pretty good time out.  Those are some pretty fine fellows.   She seems to be in pretty decent shape. Like any old boat she needs some attention. And a few things got me scratching my head but little-by-little I guess I'll get it figured out. I may have a few questions for you sometime.

deisher6

Hey Deano:  You went sailing with Chesley?
Do not hesitate to ask CPYOA about C-27's particularly earlier models.  I recommend Wes as a source.  Between us we have done about everything that can be done with a '27, twice. He has done much more, Sophie is a classy sailboat worthy of a look-see if you get a chance.

Looking forward to seeing you on the River.  Are you at Blackbeards or Fairfield?

Smooth sailin'
regards charlie

Deano

Hey Charlie, Yup, Chesley and Dan.  It was fun.  I'd certainly like to have a look at Sophie sometime. I've read about her a little bit. And Wes's boat. I need to dig deeper and read more. I've got lots to learn about her.  I'm out of town for a bit but I'll be back there pretty soon and maybe we can get together.

MHardy

Deano,
My CP27, Seagull II, is also a 1987 model. She's docked in Washington, NC at Moss Landing. Wes' boat Sophie, sets the standard in my opinion. Everything I've learned about 27's has been from Charlie and Wes. Happy to answer questions if I can.
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

Deano

Thanks MHardy,  I'll definitely look to speak with you sometime and maybe come by and see your boat. It's great knowing there's a local community of these boats and very friendly sailors willing to share their knowledge, thank you all.

Deano

OK, so I'm relatively new to this forum, these are my first post actually. But somehow I've already managed to earn a -1 karma?
How do I do that?

TopsailB

I?m with you on the negative karma thing. I guess it?s just karma. I have a slip for Vivie, our 1989 CP27-2, at Duck Creek in Bridgeton/New Bern. We?re cruising down south currently and will return to DC around the first of June. Let me know if you?re interested in visiting sometime.
Topsail Beach NC
1989 Com-Pac 27
1986 Com-Pac 23D
1986 Com-Pac 16
1959 Simmons Seaskiff 18

Al

Hi Everyone,  Thought I'd jump in to bring in another 'local' for Deano to know.  I've had boats in at Duck Creek for 25 yrs, it's a great hurricane hole, and great place to be.  There are several CP 27's there now, as well as at least 1 23 and my Horizon.   
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

Deano

Hey Topsail,   Yeah the karma thing, that's interesting I have no idea how it works. I don't know how one gets assigned a karma number?
I certainly would be interested in having a look at Vivie when you return.  Also interested if you took her down South and knowing more about that too.

Deano

Hello Al,
Thanks for joining the conversation. Be interested in meeting you and looking at your 27 as well.   I also have a compact 23 and I thought there'd be more similarities but they're really very different boats, so I have a lot to learn about the 27. Thanks for the tip on Duck Creek. There seems to be a lot of 27's gathered there. I looked on the satellite image and it doesn't look like there are a lot of wet slips. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong thing. At least in the image I saw there's a lot of boats on the hard.   Are there slips available there?  I've been thinking about a 27 for a while and when this one popped up I pretty much drove straight out to see it. And it's really cool that it's in an area where there's so many, it's a cool boat!