a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

23 Mast question

Started by Cruzin, June 08, 2023, 04:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruzin

I have a block (?) on the top starboard side of my mast and wondered what it is used for? It is about 2 inches from the mast top and is flush with the starboard side of the mast. I will try to attach a photo.

Thanks

Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Endeavor

I?d say spinnaker or code 0 as you have a self furling jib. 
1984 Com-Pac MKII 311

Cruzin

What do you mean code 0? I had thought it might be for a spinnaker but don't know anything about them. I appreciate your reply.
Thanks
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Endeavor

Hello, here one definition of a code 0

Code 0 is a loose luffed sail between an asymmetric spinnaker and a genoa. It can be carried more close to the wind very useful for new generation boats with short-overlap headsails. The advantage of these sails is that they can be furled and lowered into a sail bag.

Basically, a very light weight sail with only 2 points of attachment-tack and halyard that can be used in a wide degree of off wind angles: close, broad and beam reaches. For the racer types a spinnaker should be used down wind.  For my setup a whisker pole and doing wing-on-wing works for me.

My boat uses the older style hank on Jib, so I have a drifter which a similar idea but hanks on to the forestay.
1984 Com-Pac MKII 311

Cruzin