a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anodes on my Eclipse

Started by johnno, February 11, 2023, 01:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnno

Hi there.  I keep my Eclipse permanently in a saltwater berth, and we have a climate similar to Florida.  The boat's been in the water nearly a year.  Before she was put in the berth she had a professional barrier coat and high quality anti-foul.  I  must admit in the short time between when the boat arrived and when she went in the water, I didn't check everything I could have, although I tried.  I have a diver check and broom the anti-fouling every 4-5 months and all is good, but he reported last dive that the four anodes where nearly at the end of their life.  I had completely forgotten about these, and didn't even remember seeing them.  Can someone tell me firstly where they are ( he talked about two smaller ones and two larger ones) and secondly, from those of you who might keep their boat in the water, how much life you get out of them? Many thanks.

Cpy23ecl

I believe (but not sure) that the only anodes on my eclipse are on the centerboard.  Maybe the 2 small anodes are on your outboard?  I'd send Gerry an email and ask him.  He's very good about responding.

As to how much life, it varies drastically depending on the environment.  They can go years in one location yet be used up in a few weeks in another.  I've seen a case where stray electrical current damaged a prop shaft so badly it had to be replaced in a month.

Fred

johnno

Thank you Fred, very useful. I might just send Gerry an email as you suggest.  Agree, he's always been very responsive.