a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sun Cat vs. Siren 17, Small Craft Advisor Matchup

Started by bruce, January 16, 2023, 01:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce

The SCA has gone fully online, unfortunately. I do enjoy the magazine, but really miss the print version.

They are currently running comparisons of minicruisers, and in this round the SC is pitted against the Siren 17. Nothing against the Siren, but my vote was clear!

The link is the online version of the email they sent. I'm guessing non-subscribers can view this link, but may not be able to vote. Anyway, check it out if interested!

https://open.substack.com/pub/smallcraftadvisor/p/siren-17-vs-com-pac-sun-cat?r=1s6jfs&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Seachelle

Thanks for sharing this, Bruce -- just linked up to the article and, to read it in its entirety (it displays only a couple paragraphs or so), one must join up at SCA for at least for a free 7-day trial period. I'm not typically one to take advantage of such things, but I am interested in the content so perhaps I'll give it a whirl. 

Fair winds,
SV Sunflower (Sunny) | 2021 Com-Pac Legacy
https://passagesfromtheheart.wordpress.com

bruce

I doubt you'll be able to access the full SC review even with a trial membership. I just checked, and even as a subscriber they wanted $5.95 per PDF.
https://smallcraftadvisor.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

In searching the SCA website, the first review of the SC was in issue #12, Nov/Dec '01. There was also a review of the "12 Best Boats in 10 Years" in issue #61, Jan/Feb '10, the SC was included in that. That will probably include excerpts from their full review, and any updates they have. The third instance that was listed was the report of a reader's boat in issue #66, Nov/Dec '10, which again will probably include some excerpts.

They do offer a Com-Pac Yachts package, "71 pages of Com-Pac reviews and articles", $9.95.

"This compilation of some 13 years worth of SCA articles on Com-Pac boats includes full length reviews of the Com-Pac Eclipse, Com-Pac 16, Com-Pac 19, Com-Pac 23, Com-Pac Picnic Cat, Com-Pac Sun Cat, and Com-Pac Legacy. There's also an interview with writer/ Com-Pac sailor Bob Burgess, and a Com-Pac Yachts company profile—and more!"
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Roland of Macatawa

Bruce, Seachelle:

I have a pdf of issue 12 of SCA which includes their initial SunCat review.
Purchased it for reference when shopping for my sailboat.
Ended up purchasing the SunDayCat version.

E-mail me privately here, and I can forward it to you.

Roland

ps. Bruce, I too miss the print version of SCA
My subscription runs out in a couple of months.
Not sure if I will renew for the all-digital format.
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

bruce

Hey Roland,

I'm surprised they haven't already switched you over. My subscription was good until next March or so, and my last print copy was #138, Nov/Dec '22 (I think, could be wrong). They emailed me on 10/19/22 of the change.

Since then I've received articles by email almost daily, that I save but haven't read for the most part, and they do have a Substack website I can visit with everything they've sent out. I understand that print is becoming too expensive, but I do prefer print media for magazines and newspapers. I spend too much time online already!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

crazycarl

I've been a subscriber to SCA since they were in the pamphlet edition, but this new online version?  I won't be renewing my subscription when it expires next month.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Roland of Macatawa

Bruce, I didn't make myself clear.
SCA did switch me over to their new digital format.
I'm just not much liking their new digital format.
I too get frequent, but irregular, e-mails of articles, many which are re-runs.
Like Carl, I may very well let my subscription expire in the Spring without renewing it.
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

bruce

No argument here, I'll likely do the same.

They're not alone, of course, but personally I'd much rather pay more for a print copy. I haven't cancelled any magazine or newspaper for subscription price increases, although the daily paper is getting close, and even that is due mostly to the dumbed-down content since Gate House Media (Gannett/USA Today et al) took over in 2019. Not sure what the market will support going forward, but it's not the time to get into the publishing business.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Reighnman

Kinda like comparing a minivan to a 2-door coupe. Having owed both (Sunday Cat) I can say with experience that when the Siren centerboard is up, that boat is like a tippy canoe. When it's down, it pointed like no other, but any wake knocked her off easily.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

bruce

You won't like the next two matchups any better!

NorseBoat gaff-rigged rowboat (17.5', 400 or 600 lbs., 160 sq. ft.) vs. Sandpiper 565 sloop (18.5', 1,200 lbs., 154 sq. ft.)
https://smallcraftadvisor.substack.com/p/norseboat-vs-sandpiper-565?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Marshall Sanderling catboat (18' 2,200 lbs., 253 sq. ft.) vs. Wayfarer dinghy (16', 372 lbs., 141 sq. ft.)
https://smallcraftadvisor.substack.com/p/marshall-sanderling-vs-wayfarer-dinghy?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Bob23

I also get thier email alerts; stopped being a subscriber years ago, had to pair down my boating magazines! None of thier choices in the comparisons seem like apples to apples. I do like the Norseboat but not about to trade my 23 for anything!
Bob23

kickingbug1

would really like to see a comparison between the catalina 18 and the com-pac 19
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

bruce

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI