a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Facebook group

Started by wes, February 08, 2023, 07:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes

I've quit the Compac Yacht Owners Association group on FB - so frustrated with my feed filling up every day with fake posts about t-shirts and mugs from offshore spam/phishing accounts. Sad. Made me appreciation the attentive moderation of our admins here!

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

MacGyver

When I actually used FB a lot, now I am barely ever even on it at all, like months between uses, Groups like that would start cool then suddenly dumb ads for cheap junk like shirts and mugs and bull.

pretty happy to for the most part be off of FB, but sadly it is not like the old days where I would talk to folks regularly, but now folks catch up electronically on that social media and that is how they stay in touch.

I just recently started a YouTube channel and had a few buddies at work tell me what I need to do to help make it better, and by better they tell me I need to be like TIK Tok and other short stuff like that but then offer the build after....... maybe they are right, Show finished product first and then show the build..... I don't know. Just weird how much change has happened.......

Nothing is as personal as it used to be, and definitely not as free as it used to be.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Tim Gardner

Wes,
Which FB group are you talking about.  EVERY trash or ad post on the CPYOA group is abandoned as soon as discovered.  In the last two months, only 9 of those posts have occurred.  When we do get them the poster is banned as well.
But, There are other groups to which even I do not belong. Can't speak for them.
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

wes

Tim - it's "Com-Pac Cruisers Group."
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Cruzin

Mac,
I think you should share your YouTube channel. I am sure you have enough knowledge to do a number of videos. You could invite the experts on this chat to be your lovely assistants. I can see a CPYOA YouTube channel with Wes, Tim, Bob and the others as guest experts. Well maybe we could let Bob be in charge of funding the new channel, obviously  he would be banned from the refreshment committee!

Thanks

Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

crazycarl

Bob?  Seriously?  A video with Bob's ugly mug in it is like a movie by Wes Craven or Rob Zombie.  Not for the faint of heart.  Although, if he was wearing a mask while performing sanding duties...  No, too much like The Chainsaw Massacres.  ;)
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

crazycarl

I edited my previous post by lining out ugly because Bob isn't ugly, more like unfortunate looking.  Besides, Bob and ugly should never be used in the same sentence.  It's redundant.

Bob23

Like I said, I love you guys! And I pray for Joannie every day!

crazycarl

To set things straight.  If you haven't met Bob in person, he is one the nicest people you could meet.  He has a big smile and big heart.  Is only real fault is his beverage of choice.

is that what you wanted me to post?

Endeavor

Quote from: Tim Gardner on February 08, 2023, 06:06:54 PM
Wes,
Which FB group are you talking about.  EVERY trash or ad post on the CPYOA group is abandoned as soon as discovered.  In the last two months, only 9 of those posts have occurred.  When we do get them the poster is banned as well.
But, There are other groups to which even I do not belong. Can't speak for them.
TG

Kinda curious to know how one can join this group as it's private.  I've sent a couple of requests to join, but never heard back--I think.  I've purposefully not gotten into the social media thing except forums like this where I have an interest. I guess my FB profile being essentially blank does not help.
1984 Com-Pac MKII 311

Tim Gardner

If you didn't answer any of the questions, you were ignored.  Re-apply and answer the questions.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.