a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trolling Motor for Sun Cat

Started by Gary, July 12, 2022, 12:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

I have a 2007 Sun Cat with a 5 hp Merc outboard which has been unreliable at best.  I have a Minkota 55 lb thrust trolling motor that I can use however I am wondering if any of you have had experience running a Sun Cat with a trolling motor, and if you have an opinion if the Minkota I have will do the job.  I sail on Lake Michigan and usually don't go out in anything over 3' waves and 20 kt winds.

Thanks!

Jim in TC

I don't have direct experience with a trolling motor on our Sun but considered it when we purchased used without power. Sailing on Grand Traverse Bay I was nervous about adequate power when needing to stay into the wind dousing sail and went with the pricier but more robust Torqueedo. Lake Michigan waves are generally less choppy than our Bay, in my experience, but I would still like some extra push in 20 kts of wind; our Torqueedo has managed, though with little margin, in 30 mph+ or so in pretty serious chop.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

bruce

I don't have any experience with a trolling motor on our PC, but I did test sail a Menger 15 (now ThomCat 15) in 2010 with one. The boat displaces about 700 lbs, and we had 4 adults: the owner, the current builder (Jerry Thompson), my wife, and I. Another 700 lbs or so. The seas were flat, the winds fluky to 10 kts. Heading out, downwind, the trolling motor, I think it was 55 lbs thrust, did fine. The wind came up enough to get a sail in, but still wasn't more than 10. Heading back, once we doused the sail, the trolling motor couldn't make progress into the wind. I had to grab a paddle and paddle us back to the owner's dock, about a mile up a canal, while Jerry tended the motor and tiller. I was motivated, we had a ferry to catch! There may have been some current involved, but it seemed mostly the wind. The owner did have a 5 hp OB, but didn't want to mess with it and thought the trolling motor would be enough. The boat itself has little freeboard, maybe the 4 adults provided more windage than he was used to.

I'm glad Jim mentioned that 3' waves on Lake Michigan can have a longer period. 3' of chop would be hard to power through.

Plugboats has a guide for trolling motors that might be of interest. They put the HP equivalent of the Minkota 55 at about 0.8 hp. It will drive the boat, give it a try on a less-challenging day.
https://plugboats.com/electric-trolling-motors/

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Gary

Thaks guys for your replies.  I think I am going to give it a try and see how it does on a calm day and make a decision on whether to upgrade to a larger electric or not.

Dave-in-RI

Old thread, new member. Do you have any updates you might be willing to share about the trolling motor on your Sun Cat? Thank you.

Gary

Dave, I've put this project on hold until the Spring, but from the reading I've done, it seems like the Torqeedo 1103 Traveller Series electric outboards and e-propulsion electrics are probably the ones people have written about more frequently for use with small sailboats.  They seem to be reliable, have some cool features and good battery life.  The only concern for me is the price tag which tends to be around $2,600 - $3,500.  I'm not ready to make that investment yet.  Good Luck Hunting!

Gary

Jim in TC

I will admit that the price point put me off initially, but decided (and found it to be true) that, as is often the case, once purchased the price, like many bad memories, softens with time. I will also admit that the (if memory serves) 2 hp Honda 4-stroke that powered our wee WW Potter 15 was also a fine and reliable little motor. But I am happy to have no small engines to mess with, fuel or wonder about starting in a pinch.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

kickingbug1

at the risk of making "electric" folks mad, i have a 94 johnson 4 hp two stroke that has been very reliable. its a twin so it is very smooth and quiet and isnt picky about fuel and it only weighs 36lbs. oh yeah, it cost $250. it does a fine job pushing my catalina 18
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Dave-in-RI

Thanks, All. I suspect I'll keep the gas motor for range as primary auxiliary, and buy a trolling motor for electric only lakes. If I get screwed/frustrated enough times with gas & its maintenance I'll make the upgrade to "real" electric.