a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cruise to Ocracoke Island

Started by crazycarl, November 20, 2022, 11:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

Next year is going to be busy with sailing.  I know, we've all had the same thought come fall/winter, but this time it will happen!  To start we have the always fantastic CLR in southern Illinois.  What's a year of sailing without a BBB and pictures of Bob23 attempting unload pbr on some unsuspecting soul?  Next is the beautiful and clear waters of lake Superior and the Apostle Islands. 

Finally, I would like to host the 1st ever sail to Ocracoke Island.  Oriental has a public boat ramp just a mile down the creek from our dock.  We have plenty of space to store vehicles and trailers, and those boats we can't accommodate at our dock, can overnight at the association docks a 1/2 mile from our place.  Attendees are welcome to stay in our home, but there are hotels just 5 miles away if you prefer. 

Day 1 will see us sailing 25 miles NE on the Neuse River to Cedar Island.  I've been told this is a very well protected basin with great swimming.  Day 2 we'll sail 28 miles across Pamlico Sound (weather permitting) to Silver Lake on Ocracoke Island.  There we can drop anchor in the harbor, use the government docks, or stay at the marina with hot showers and bathrooms.  Several businesses rent bicycles and golf carts we can use to tour the island and visit the lighthouse, an old British cemetery, or go to the beach.  Most importantly, there are several ice cream parlors scattered about.  Want to try surfing?  Paddle boarding?  Kayaking?  They rent those also. 
There is also an area close to shore (18" of water) where we can dig for clams.
I'll also look for alternate places to explore as the sound can get really rough when the winds blow.  I sailed to Ocracoke with my grandson in our 30'r last June and it was great.  It took us 9 hours, but we had to sail around the shoals.  Something we won't need to worry about with our shallow drafts.

Last June the nights were pleasant and bugless, but the town was crowded.  *I'm thinking of having it after Labor day, last week of September or the 1st week of October.  The temps are still warm enough to swim, but the nights are cooler.

*This time frame maybe changed as I'm bicycling the entire outer banks next fall, and the exact week hasn't been set yet.

This area had many places for a small boat to sail and I'm always open to suggestions, so have a gander at Google earth post your views.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Christopher

Hey Carl,
  Sounds like a fun trip and I am interested but concerned about trying to pack to much in for next summer.  I am planning to go the Apostle Islands for sure.  I would really like to get to the FL-120 sometime as well but am finding that May rolls around very quickly.   I appreciate you setting this up and for the invite.  So, all I can say is I will let you know sometime this summer one way or the other if that is OK?

crazycarl

Sounds good Chris.  I know what your saying.  We should be moving into the new house in January/February.  Afterwards trucking 2 storage units of belongings here from IL.  Shopping for new furniture.  Working on the landscaping.  Boat maintenance.  We have some tree I want to remove to get a better view of the water.  CLR, Apostle Islands, biking the Outer Banks, and the Ocracoke cruise.  There is also a small boat pirate event the happens near Core Sound I'd like to attend.  It will be a busy year indeed, but it will keep me off meth and out of the opium dens. ?????????
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Christopher

You like to pack it in huh.   ;)  You forgot about that Flicka you're going to have to work on as well.  Glad to hear about the house being finished soon.  I'm sure you will be relieved to get moved in.