Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Seasons Greetings-Newish Com-pac 23 owner

Started by Endeavor, December 15, 2022, 08:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endeavor

Hi Folks,

I sailed as a kid/young man for years on Barnegat Bay and the Florida Keys, but Life got Liffey and I hadn't sailed since then.  Fast forward a few years ago my brother and I chartered a few sailboats out of Charleston and the hook was set-I've got to get a sailboat!!

Looking at boats earlier this year was disappointing-overpriced and poor condition-, I couldn't find much localish (70 Miles from Philly) to me in my budget or in decent shape and not a Catalina or Hunter.  Nothing wrong with those brands mind you.  That is until I came across the 3 Com-pac 23s on craigslist.  There something special about the lines of the boat, the really nice interior and roomy cockpit that attracted me and bowsprit really made it for me.

I took possession in Late May, familiarized myself with her while the PO had the engine serviced and bottom painted.  A few weeks later, my brother and I embarked on a windy Friday afternoon down the Great Egg River headed to Ocean City/Great Egg Inlet. Boy, what a day for a shakedown cruise-heavy winds, chop, out board engine problems (fuel related sorted out with a few pumps on the primer) ...etc.  Probably not ideal conditions for a 1st cruise, but we made it through without issue thanks to experience and this beauty which handled it insanely well.  We overnighted in a marina well tired. 

The next day was light winds and we motored up the Ventor/Margate canal to AC-sheesh 6 bridges, I think. We docked her at the Farley Marina and wouldn't you know the harbormaster put my Com-Pac23 right next to a 27!  i wonder of it is someone's here? The 3rd day, brother headed home, and my daughter hopped onboard, and we made our way up from AC to the Great Bay.  Not much sailing as it's a narrow channel and the wind was on the nose, but we did raise the sails on the Great Bay and sailed to her new home in Tuckerton.  What a great 1st trip.

I've really enjoyed sailing on Little Egg Harbor which is surprisingly empty of boats on the days I sail.  My GF-not a sailor- even likes to go out on her. Highlight was a late summer sunset/full moon sail. I can solo her decently but need more practice.  We haven't overnighted yet, but plan to. I'm still working on some updates and such, getting the ST1000 working, abandoning the speedo and plugging the thru hull along with a new main being made for 2023.  Maybe a roller furler even though the hank on jibs are easy to manage and fit nicely into the sailbag while still on the forestay.

I see there are a few Com-Pacs on Barnegat so hopefully I'll see you out there come spring and summer.

Sam

1984 Com-Pac MKII 311

Bob23

Hi Endeavor!
  I also sail the Barnegat Bay and also have a 23, same vintage as yours! The Mark 2! A wonderful little yacht! I've owner her for 15 years now, made a bunch of thoughtful improvements, had new sails made about 8years ago and more recently had new cushions made.

If you upgrade to a roller furler, you will never look back. Not just the ease of unfurling and furling but makes reefing very simple. I've learned that the 23's like the first reef put in the main when the wind reaches about 15 knots. Sounds low but trust me, the boat will sail faster and be much more comfortable.

When I had sails made (by Eggers, Perth Amboy, NJ I had 2 reef points put in the main. Only used the second reef once when I got caught out in 30 knots of wind and I'm happy to report she behaved nicely! A bit wet but under total control. Our little 23's can really take it, much more than I can!

Hope to see you out there this spring. I keep my boat at Long Key Marina, Waretown, NJ and sail mostly the upper Barnegat Bay.

Cheers!
Bob23

Endeavor

"Wonderful Little Yacht" sums it up perfectly.  I grew up sailing on my father's 22' sloop.  The CP23 is just so much nicer.  He ended up keeping his boat  on Oyster Creek favoring the outflow from the power plant's warm water.  Odd to feel warm water on a cold December sail!  I see there's a get together meet n greet being planned.  I'll like to try to make that.  Yes, definitely tempted on the roller furler.  Thank you for the kind welcome.

1984 Com-Pac MKII 311

alsantini

Sam.  A great boat that will give you plenty of sailing time.  Best of luck.  I hope you enjoy her as much as I enjoy my Eclipse.  Com Pac makes some great boats.  I agree with Bob that roller furling will make you wonder why you or the PO did not put it in.  It makes single hand sailing wayyyy better and safer.  I got caught in a storm a few years back and if I had to go forward in the angry sea state, I would have been likely thrown off the boat.  I would have been clipped in but being dragged around the Lake by an Eclipse does not seem to be a great thing.  Enjoy the boat.  Sail On...  Al