a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Minor fixes

Started by Fastdoc98, September 18, 2022, 03:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastdoc98

So after my trip up to Door County with water breaking over the cabin top I found that the teak rails for the sliding hatch leaked around a couple of the screws as did two of my ports.  I ordered 4 new hatch screens (mine were cracked/torn and one is at the bottom of the lake near the slip) and new foam gasket material from ComPac to seal the ports.  I peeled the old foam gasket and cut the new material to length and tucked it in without any problems, so the ports don't leak now.  I ordered some Bed It tape and took off the teak rails.  I cleaned the gelcoat underneath and made sure the holes were countersunk, then cleaned the underside of the teak.  My technique (right or wrong) was to push the screws up from inside the cabin and put a cone of butyl tape around the threads and then lower the teak onto the protruding screws and then just tighten from one end to the other incrementally.  I got some squish out which I was able to clean up with a plastic scraper and finally a long thin blade screwdriver.  So now hopefully no more leaks from there.  I didn't find any leaking from the teak handrails, the line cleats, or the genoa track so I didn't remove them and rebed but I've got plenty of butyl tape should I decide to in the future.
     The other project I decided to tackle was the seat cushions in the cabin.  I think the foam from 2009 finally gave up the ghost as it was compressed and offered little padding for my sensitive little tushy.  I was surprised how much my butt hurt from sitting on those cushions in the cabin in the evening watching a movie, prepping food, cooking, eating.  When I first bought the boat I removed the fabric from all the cushions and laundered it to get a 'fresh start'.  I noticed that the long seat cushions had an extra layer of 1" foam added at just the seating area which I now realize was an attempt to make up for the flattened foam.  I bought firm closed cell foam off Amazon in 4 x 30 x 84 pieces for $74 each and then silk upholstery wrap for $27.  I used an electric carving knife and my wife helped my stuff the foam in the covers and I don't think it took more than about 2 hours total.  I tried using the vacuum to deflated and compress the foam like I had seen on Sailrite but I couldn't get a good enough seal so I just tucked it in by hand.  With the silk covering it wasn't that hard at all.  I think the original foam was probably 3" but I was able to get the 4" in easily and they are nice and taut.  The seat cushions are SO much better now I'm sorry I didn't do that earlier.  The cushions in the bow I don't think ever got much wear as they are still pretty firm so I don't feel the need to redo them.  If anyone is considering doing this themselves I would highly recommend it - it wasn't that expensive (in boat bucks) and wasn't very difficult compared to the improvement.
     The last thing on the list will be to remove the hinge hardware off the mast and send it to Compac to have the little metal tab on the front welded back on and have them straighten it in the jig, but that will have to wait until the season is really over and I'm ready to winterize. 

Cpy23ecl

It's amazing how much difference better foam in the seat cushions makes.  I did the same thing after a year with my new travel trailer dinette cushions.  Night and day difference.

Fred