a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Winter projects?

Started by alsantini, December 07, 2022, 10:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Wondering what projects Eclipse sailors will be doing during the off season?  I finished the install of my tiller pilot in Sept and plan on trying it out on the Gulf.  I need to re-seal most all of the top of cabin fittings.  I basically have leaks.  Not sure if it is the handrails, jib tracks, or the mast base.  I find that my mast base is only good for about a half a year before it begins to leak.  I think the constant step and un-step the mast must move the mast stub just enough to break the seal.  Before I left the boat in Florida for the holidays, I covered most of it (15 foot tarp) to prevent the leaks and possibly mold that loves to grow in Florida.  We fly back on the 29th of December and my first project will be the re-sealing of just about anything that has a hole....
Of course I need to go sailing first.  Need to try to get a Dec sail in, then I can say I sailed during every moth of 2022.
Sail on everyone and enjoy the ride.    Al

Fastdoc98

My only winter project (if you can call it that) is to send my mast hinge to ComPac for repair/straightening.  One of the front tabs broke off during transport to Door County and needs to be welded back together and I would like the whole thing put back in the jig and straightened.  Come spring I think I'll be putting a new axle on the trailer.  I notice after I got back home the passenger side (starboard) wheel tilts inward at the top.  I checked the bearings to see if it was just coming apart but they're tight and have no play so I'm thinking the axle may have gotten bent on a pothole or something in the construction zones.  I'd like to switch to Dexter axles anyways and also have the flanges for brakes (my current axle doesn't have them).