a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hello! From a new CPYOA member

Started by JTarka, August 30, 2022, 08:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTarka

I just joined CPYOA and this looks like the place to be.
I live near Knoxville, TN and have owned multiple sailboats over the years - my first boat was a C16 (MANY years ago).  I've sailed boats up to 50' at different times.  I remember the C16 as being a great quality boat.
I want to get back into sailing and want to get a pocket cruiser - seriously considering purchasing a used C19.

Questions for other C19 owners:

1. When looking at a used C19, are there any common issues to look for? (I'm considering a 1988 model)
2. Is the dagger-board weighted, or is it just a drop-down fiberglass piece?  Are there common problems to attend to with the dagger-board for a boat of that age?
3. I'm thinking of doing some weekend cruises along the TN River waters; Is the cockpit roomy enough to successfully 'rough it' for a few days on the water?
4. How involved is it to raise and lower the mast?  I'll be keeping it on the trailer mostly.

Thanks for any advice!!

crazycarl

Welcome aboard!  The 19 doesn't incorporate a dagger board.  It has an encapsulated keel filled with cement and pig iron so there are no moving parts to maintain.  Owning a 1985 19/II, I'm partial to them, but I really do believe they are the best trailer sailor Compac produced.  The 16s are nice, but a bit cramped below for a week on the water.  The 23s have plenty of room in the cockpit and below, but are heavy to tow and raise the mast.  The 19 however has enough room for two over a weekend sail, or one for several weeks out.  It trailers easily and the mast can be raised by a single person without the need of a mast raising system.  I love the Eclipse with its easy off and on open transom, but it's lack of headroom below is a drawback.

I'm sure Bob23 will correct me on the 23, but who listens to anyone from jersey?
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

The 19 doesn't incorporate a dagger board

Weren't there a few built at the end of production that were designated XL's that had a centerboard? Not sure of the year(s) but thought that was the case. 

I've never sailed a 19 but I think Carl's right about it being the last size up that would be comfortable to use as a trailer sailor.  My 23 gets on its trailer every three years for a full maintenance then back in its slip.  When I first got it, I did a number of road trips but that got old quick. Another note is that the 16 and 23 were Clark Mills designs, the 19 was a Bob Johnson design I think, and would sail a little flatter with more initial stability at the expense of some ultimate stability, which would make it maybe a little more comfortable on beam to close reach.

Bob speaks and we listen......and then laugh. ;)

JTarka

Thanks for the replies! 
Happy to hear there is no dagger-board or moving parts in the keel.  Also good to hear that the C19 would be comfortable for a few days out.  I recall that the C16 was easy to raise the mast, and sounds like the C19 is similar.

Wish me luck on getting the C19 I'm looking at.
Thanks again. 

wes

I wouldn't say it's easy to raise the mast on the 19, certainly not like the 16. It's possible but scary for one person with strong legs and upper body to do it, but realistically it's safer with two people. Those who routinely do it solo have generally invented some kind of supplemental device like a gin pole or winch system.

That's not a knock on the 19. It's a strong, heavy, stable boat for its size. I love mine.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Xavier

Welcome J. Nice to have you aboard. Please update us on your adoption progress. I feel a 19 is in my future and would love to see how it goes with you.

Good things!