a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Florida Keys

Started by slode, March 14, 2022, 10:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

The Admiral and I are planning a trip to the FL keys for early May.  Has anyone stayed at, or know those who have stayed at Key Lime Sailing Club in Key Largo?  They offer unlimited daytime use of one of their Catalina 22's with a room booking.  It looks like a relatively decent economical place to stay considering use of a 22' boat while you're there.  Any feedback good or bad is appreciated.

And regardless of above any recommendations for a fun place to day sail to from Key Largo?
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

crazycarl

I spent 6 weeks sailing the keys in a Starwind 19.  Buttonwood sound is nice, and a trip to Lignum Vitae Key is worth the trip. On the Hawk Channel side is Indian Key where a settlement once stood.  Bayside there are many uninhabited keys to explore. Definitely bring snorkeling gear to swim with the manatees.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Xavier

I'm curious, did you decide to go to key lime sailing cottages? If so, how did it go??

slode

Quote from: Xavier on August 15, 2022, 11:50:22 AM
I'm curious, did you decide to go to key lime sailing cottages? If so, how did it go??

Yes, we spent 3 nights there, 2 days sailing around.  They are very welcoming and accommodating.  The cottages are quaint and in good repair but by no means even remotely luxurious.  If you are looking for Hampton type accommodations this is not quite it, more like a well maintained motel 6, which was fine by us, and fit the price given other options in the area.   Boats were in so so condition but very capable.  I noticed a block on our mainsheet was completely shot when we went out on our intro sail and it was replaced as soon as we came back to the dock. So it seams they likely don't do regular maintenance checks on all the rigging, but are quick to repair something that isn't up to par.

The area was interesting.  Buttonwood Sound is very shallow, the deepest part only about 8 foot.  There is good day sailing but they don't let you go out too far.  And one thing that was a bit of a disappointment was they wanted the boat back on the dock by 5:00 p.m. so no evening sailing.

All in all I'd recommend to anyone who is okay with motel like accommodations looking for an opportunity to sail the area without having to charter.

If this is your only destination I'd recommend spending 4 nights so you have 3 days on the water.  You have full access to their kayaks, Hobie Wave, Sunfish, and other water toys so an extra day would have been fun.

And go to Hobo's Cafe and get the mahi mahi quesadilla for lunch.  Probably the best meal we had the whole week.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41