a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom Tack Pin

Started by Xavier, August 21, 2022, 01:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

My c16 I is missing this. Does anyone have a pic of theirs or can share dimensions or suggestions? Thanks

mikew

My 1983 Cp-16 boom tack pin fell out and got lost but I will describe it and offer a solution. The pin was made from Stainless rod material about 1/4 in dia. and 2 in long. One end had an 45 deg. angle bent to make a handle. The other end had a short split pin ( 1/16 in dia. 1/4 in long) tapped into one side of the stainless shaft. The split pin allowed the stainless pin to be pulled back, the sail grommet inserted and then it was pushed all the way through the goose neck and turned and locked so it would not fall out.
My fix now is a short piece of 1/4 in braided line pushed through both holes of the casting and sail grommet and tied with a square knot in front of the sail. This line is trimmed up and ends melted to make a neat ring to hold the tack.
Other solutions could be a long Stainless rigging pin with split ring on the end to go though the casting and hold the tack, or a stainless bolt with locknut and short piece of tubing over the threads to protect the brass grommet.

Mike

Bob23

Reading this makes me wonder how I haven't lost mine over the years! I bet this could be had at a decent boat shop that carries sailboat hardware. It sounds like the one on my 23 is identical to yours.
Bob23

brackish

More than likely it came from Dwyer as part of a stock tack bracket.  You can contact them and get a replacement.  Also, it may be a stocked replacement part on the Compac Hutchins site, they have spread sheets on their site showing what parts they stock for each model.  Supply houses like McMaster Carr also have stainless push pins with a ring in many sizes, probably the size of your missing pin.

typical of the hardware on a boom size at Dwyer.  This may be your boom, or you can search the other sizes for it.

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1ID=30&cat1Name=Booms&familyID=5&familyName=DM%2D275+Boom

mikew

Fellas, I did find that part at Dwyermast.com. They list several gooseneck
castings with a similar looking part: DH 2152 Tack pin with roll pin $ 9.91.
I assume the roll pin is separate- so to install look at the goosneck and you will see a hole on one side and a hole with slot cut in on the other side. So insert tack pin into the hole side , tap in the roll pin or press in with vise grips. So now the tack pin is captured into the gooseneck and can go all the way through the gooseneck holes and lock on the side with the hole-slot.
Mike

Xavier

Thank you thank you thank you VERY MUCH Brackish, Bob and Mikew! I am now reaching out to Dwyer to confirm the DH2152 compatibility. I'm sure it will be good!