a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SunCat Advice

Started by carry-on, August 02, 2022, 06:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carry-on

Sailed a 16XL with center board for nine years. Sold the boat two years ago. Considering a Sun Cat. I have not sailed a cat rig, much less a main with a gaff.
Would like some input from folks with knowledge of the 16 and Sun Cat comparing ease and sailing characteristics of the little sloop and the Sun Cat.
Also, since the work shed available to me has a vertical clearance of 9' 6", would like to know the max height of the Sun Cat on the trailer with the hinged mast resting on the gallows.
Thanks.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

bruce

Second thing first: 8'3". Tom Ray measured the Com-Pac boats on the trailer when he worked for GISails.
https://www.gisails.com/boats/compac/suncat/

A gaff rig is somewhat different, but nothing you can't easily learn. More similar than not. I think Bill Welch's book on Small Catboats is excellent. I often review it when I've got a question.
https://www.amazon.com/Competitive-Racing-Small-Gaff-Rigged-Catboats/dp/1419683829
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

carry-on

Thanks for your input.
The vertical dimension is very good news.
Ordered the book, so I can learn how to "feed and care for a CAT".   
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Jim in TC

Bruce is correct to point out that similarities outnumber differences. I've not sailed a 16 but most of my experience (outside of little boats like sunfish and Holder 12) is on sloops. Sometimes I do miss having a jib up there, but  points of sail and most other aspects of cruising about is little changed. There will be modest differences in pointing, and cats, at least the Sun, can be a bit balky coming about in some conditions. These are not fast boats but stable and very forgiving (for example, in a badly executed jibe in flucky winds we took water over the side and recovered nicely).
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel