Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outhaul

Started by Deadrise, March 21, 2022, 10:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadrise

Hello All,

Getting a new loose footed mainsail made for Harrier and was thinking that the stock outhaul can be improved on.....what are you folks running or what do you suggest?

Thanks,
John
1988 Com-Pac 19 Dora-Mae (sold)
1987 Com-Pac 23 Puffin (sold)
1993 Com-Pac 27 Harrier (For Sale)
2003 Pacific Seacraft 37 Endurance

wes

Agree that the stock internal outhaul is a very weird piece of engineering, with the impossible-to-service 2-part block and tackle. When I restored my 1988 boat I disassembled the boom, replaced outhaul and reefing lines but did not alter the factory configuration. Four years later I have to say the outhaul is still working fine, but the reefing lines show signs of chafing. I dread taking that thing apart again. If you come up with an improved outhaul system, please post.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Deadrise

Wes,

When you replaced the outhaul did you have to open up both ends of the boom? The aft end of mine boom is riveted the forward has screws, it would be nice if I could do the job without drilling out that aft end.

I'm thinking of trading out the NBA-14 Gooseneck Cam lock on the gooseneck for an NB1 Outhaul Roller and routing the outhaul down to a turning block and back to the cockpit.

Thanks,
John
1988 Com-Pac 19 Dora-Mae (sold)
1987 Com-Pac 23 Puffin (sold)
1993 Com-Pac 27 Harrier (For Sale)
2003 Pacific Seacraft 37 Endurance

wes

I took both ends apart. Can't imagine replacing the lines otherwise. Your boom may be different from mine though. Mine was sourced from Johnson; I'm told it was fabricated from Kenyon extrusions.

I rarely adjust my outhaul tension, so didn't want to clutter my cockpit with even more spaghetti. Your situation may be different.

Wes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Yqne6D]
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

rwsandersii

I hate mine and I have the parts to change it to the configuration I had on my 23.  I'm going to have a cleat installed (or I may try tapping myself) and installing small blocks to give me some mechanical advantage.  It is for sail handling, I don't know why someone thought it was a good idea to run it up near the mast. 
I want to change the reefing too as it always binds up, but with the gooseneck I have, I don't have a hook for the tack of the sail so I'll keep thinking until I can move somewhere where I can find a rigger or I may contact the folks who made the boom. 

Richard
Compac 27/3 Of Beren and Luthien
Former caregiver for Compac 23/3 Thunderchild
"Of Beren and Luthien" 2010 Compac 27/3
"Silmaril" 2008 Vanguard Nomad
"Thunderchild" 1990 Compac 23/3 (former owner)