a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP23 2001 - Remote Access - $8,000 - Cape Cod MA

Started by curtisv, June 11, 2022, 11:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtisv

This boat is for sale because between yard projects and three boats I don't have the time.  Most of my time messing about with boats has been spent on my Mariner Yachts 36 restoration and I'm doing way more boat work than sailing.  I'm listing here before putting it elsewhere like yachtworld.

Asking price is $8,000.  The boat is Orleans on Cape Cod in Massachusetts but for a serious potential buyer I could trailer somewhere.  See "Honesty" part of this email about trailering.  Contact info is in my CPYOA profile so PM me with your email if interested and I'll send phone number in email reply.

I am the original owner and sailed mostly on Pleasant Bay (salt water esturary on Cape Cod) and occasional sails to Nantucket, Marthas Vineyard, and Block Island (the former two aka "The Islands").  There is a web site for the boat that has not been updated in over 15 years (http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access/).

This boat is not quite stock.  It is set up for strong winds which Cape Cod and Nantucket have plenty of (windiest coastal region in US according to USGS wind maps).  I have two headsails, 110% and 60% with the 60% barely used.  There is a sail track about 3' long behind the lower forestay extending back from there.  That is for better windward performance and it works.  The sails are cut for these tracks.  The original way aft sail tracks are there in case someone wants to fly a large headsail.  Roller furler is ProFurl R25 which is heavy duty for this size boat and all aluminum with some aluminum magnesium alloy.  I no longer have the original 150% genoa as it is mostly useless (too big) for sailing around here.  Occasionally we do get light winds but rare (but less rare now with climate changing the wind patterns).

Mainsail is original but with second reef added.  Boom has vang and boomkicker and is set up for easy reefing (added cleats and cheak blocks).

Full list of modifications is at http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access/completed_projects.html.

I sail engineless so have no motor mount but the original bolt holes for the mount are there and I have an extra (two extra) small motor mount that you could use for up to 5HP (second extra is smaller).  I found I almost never used the outboard so sold it in 2005 I think and took off the motor mount.  I have a sculling oar but works poorly and only useful for dead air and short distances (like can't quite get back to the mooring).  I usually anchor in dead air but carry it onboard anyway.

Honesty - as per guidelines

This boat has been sailed hard and though it is a solid boat and has a lot of extras she need a little TLC.  Most notable I sailed hard in 25 knots and 5-6 foot waves on Block Island Sound and cracked one of the original cheap hard plastic peices keeping the vertical supports under the mast in place.  I glassed in large blocks of oak but never did the finish work which means there is also a few wires hanging in the forecabin just forward of the doorway.  This is much more sturdy than original.

Over the years some gelcoat voids have been found and there is some spider cracks and chips in the gelcoat.  A number of voids were fixed and up until recently I could get gelcoat repair done locally.  I'm not good at gelcoat repair and recently was unsuccessfull at hiring someone to do repairs.  In the last few years I can't get anyone local that does reasonably priced good work to take on the job as there is a dire shortage of workers on Cape Cod.  One shop I worked with before penciled me in but cancelled due to 1+ year backlog of work.  Another agreed to do it later but never calls back.  Both shops got swamped with sailing dinghy repairs from a yacht club that they do regular business with so I got preempted.

I have a small (tiny 6W) solar panel on the stern rail.  This is adequate for a float charge and all I have is LED running and anchor lights (original with LED festoon bulbs) so does the job.  After 15 years my 8D battery (255 Ah) gave out but I have yet to replace it.  One reason it lasted so long is it barely gets discharged on an overnight sail with LED running lights (or at anchor where anchor lights are needed) and the solar panel brings it back up and floats it (at 13.2 I think).  The charge controller is FlexCharge 25A so large enough for a huge (for a boat) solar array.  Boat was completely rewired and much better than original wiring.

Teak is in good shape, hand sanded every few years with 150 then 220 to finish and oiled.  Machine sanded then hand sanded about two years ago.  Original plywook hatchboards are replaced with solid teak hatchboards.

Has speed/depth and very old fixed mount GPS but neither work.  Speed/depth is Navman (no longer sold in US) so will need to be replaced with something else.  I have an extra wind indicator and transducer from the MY36 which you can have.  It works but is circa 1980s.

Right now a trailer light has been broken but I bought but have yet to install new trailer wiring kit, new tail lights, and trailer extra side lights.  Warning: trailer brakes don't work.  Not legal, but I'm fine with that since I only trailer locally (less than 5 miles twice a year to put boat on mooring and never break 35 mph) and my F-250 barely notices the CP23 and trailer behind it.  You need a vehicle capable of at least 5,000 lbs towing capacity and should get the brakes replaced immediately if not towing with a heavy duty truck or towing any distance due to it being not legal and not really safe if hard breaking on a highway.  I'll tow to you if need be and you can fix or I can get it fixed here (but everything is more expensive on Cape Cod).

Needs spring cleanup (a bit late at this point) and I'll attach newer photos to show condition after cleanup.  Otherwise refer to the web site.  Lots of modification not mentioned here are listed on http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access/completed_projects.html so start there.
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access