a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailpacks and Lazy Jacks

Started by crazycarl, February 02, 2022, 05:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

I've been looking at sailpacks and lazy jack kits from Sailrite.  The lazy jack system on our 30' boat makes dropping the main much easier.  While on our daily bike ride and obligatory stop at the Bean coffee shop, there was only one sailboat at the town dock.  Looking at it I saw a "lazy jack" system I've never seen before.  The boom had several thin lines running vertically from it's center track to the topping lift.  These lines ran through plastic screwed on grommets in the sail.  When the sail is lowered, it automatically falls in a flaking manner landing in the center of the boom.  The lines prevent it from falling of the boom and in theory would act as horizontal battens.
Has anyone seen this setup and is it viable for a ComPac 19?
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

CC:
  Talk with PeterG. He had a groovy MackPack on his 19 when he lived in the glorious state of NJ. I'm not sure about the lazy jack system but the sail dropped right into the pack!
Bob23

peterg

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a-Sail-Pack-Video

Here you go, Carl !!  Used this instructional video to make drop bags for my C19 and my C27. Wouldn't bother to sail without one. 
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

Andre

Crazy Carl,

I think what you saw was the Dutchman sail flaking system. Just do a Google search and you'll find lots of info on it, including videos.

My only experience with it was on a friend's large boat - a Catalina 400. It seemed to work just fine.  Actually, now that I think of it, it belonged to CaptRon who may still be on this site. Ron, any comments?

Andre

Al

Carl,  I made a lazy jack 'system' for our Horizon Cat.. Pretty simple,  I think I found an ezmple somewhere  in the forum archives.  Used 15-20 ft of 3/16 dacron double braid, tho' Nylon would be OK.  Also 35ft or so of 3/16 bungee cord.  I didn't pretty it up with hog staples as suggest, just did quick/easy/cheap inst
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

Al

Hi agn,  ---last got cut short.
   If you'd like to see it anytime (reasonable), send me an off-line email and we can get together.  The boat is located at Duck Creek Marina in Bridgeton. 
Al

Ratty, to Mole
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
Ratty, to Mole

curtisv

Quote from: peterg on February 03, 2022, 04:27:30 PM
https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a-Sail-Pack-Video

Here you go, Carl !!  Used this instructional video to make drop bags for my C19 and my C27. Wouldn't bother to sail without one.

Nice URL.  Thanks.

The best setup I've sailed on was a drop bag sail cover with zipper the had gromets to run the lazy jack lines through.  This was on a Beneteau 50 (a 505 I think) where handing all that sail benefits from a bit of help.  The cover went under the boom with drainage holes.  Under sail the drop bag can be slid down to reduce parasitic windage.  Before dropping the sail the bag/cover can be slid up the lazy jack lines.  With 3 people, one on halyard, one on each end of the boom, flaking the sail neatly is easy. and then just zipper the cover and done.

Lazy jacks are nice but overkill for CP19 IMHO.  Laxy jack with drop bag even more overkill.  But easy of dropping the main and flaking is nice so why not.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

Cpy23ecl

I had a Catalina 30 for a number of years that had the dutchman system on the main.  It did a great job of containing the sail when lowering although mine never did flake the sail very neatly and always had to fiddle with the sail to get neat flakes before putting the sail cover on.

That said it sure beats trying to get the main flaked over the boom while bouncing around in wind and waves.  Overall I definitely liked the system.

Fred

curtisv

Quote from: Cpy23ecl on June 12, 2022, 07:10:42 AM
I had a Catalina 30 for a number of years that had the dutchman system on the main.  It did a great job of containing the sail when lowering although mine never did flake the sail very neatly and always had to fiddle with the sail to get neat flakes before putting the sail cover on.

That said it sure beats trying to get the main flaked over the boom while bouncing around in wind and waves.  Overall I definitely liked the system.

Fred

I have the dutchman on my MY36 on both main and mizzen.  Its nice but if I replace the sails I'll go with lazy jacks and maybe an on the boom sail bag that can be stuffed out of the way rather then the Sailrite kit that is always up and blocking wind on the lower part of the sail.  I think all those holes and patches in the dutchman are not good for sail efficiency.  Anything that adds to turbulance is bad for sail performance.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access