a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

LPG cylinder cover

Started by johnno, May 04, 2022, 01:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnno

Unfortunately the smallest lpg cylinder I can buy in Aus is 1 cm too tall for the gas locker, so I need to stow it on the cockpit sole down near the stern.  With my not too hot sewing skills I made this little cover for it today.

brackish

The sewing looks good to me, better than my feeble attempts.  Curious as to what you are using the LPG for.  Is it for an outboard? I have a propane Magma grill for which I carry one of those very small camp stove LPG canisters and also have butane pull out stove in the cabin I use for general cooking.  For those I carry a padded wine bottle case, holes punched in the bottom with brass grommets for drainage. One can of each fits in the wine carrier and it fits perfectly in the fuel locker of a 23 next to the 3 gallon fuel tank and meets the requirements for drainage rather than accumulation for heavier than air gases.  One each of those will get me through a three day cruise depending on the menus and I would have room for another if needed.

johnno

We use it for cooking - and we do a fair bit.  And we cook only in the cockpit, not down below.  Not enough room on the Eclipse. 

Good ideas you have there. I was a bit disappointed to find the height of the cylinder just prevented us storing it in the drained  locker.  I thought of lying it on its side, but against regulations and the liquid near the outlet in that position put me off anyway. I looked at the smaller containers you mention but they are all disposable-only here in Australia and I was keen to have a refillable solution.  I won't keep it permanently on the boat but only bring it when we're doing over-nighters or longer.

brackish

I see or think I do, are you saying you can't refill the one lb. cans in Aus?  In the states those one lb. cans are refillable although I've never done it because I only go through about six or so a year for all uses, Magma, catalytic heater, etc.  Never bothered to buy a refill kit and try it due to the low volume use.

crazycarl

Your sewing skills are better than most!

I read somewhere refilled 1lb propane canisters cannot be transported across state lines.  I don't know how the authorities would know though.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

Quote from: crazycarl on May 05, 2022, 04:29:42 PM
Your sewing skills are better than most!

I read somewhere refilled 1lb propane canisters cannot be transported across state lines.  I don't know how the authorities would know though.

Flame King makes a refill kit including one lb. canister that is DOT approved for refill and transport.  It is expensive, about $45 for the kit.  Doesn't make sense for my low volume usage, but if I used a lot I would probably try it.  Lot's of folks refilling the Coleman cans which probably don't meet DOT requirements. But if you're not traveling with them......

johnno

What's irritating is that if they hadn't made the handle an inch or so higher than the valve, it'd fit nicely. I was contemplating trimming off the handle a bit but unfortunately that's where the official stamping of the bottle is also placed, so still no go.

bruce

I used the Flame King refillable canisters for a couple of years with my Lehr 2.5, as well as refilling standard 1 lb. propane canisters before that. I'd gladly report my experiences if helpful. In summary, the disposable canisters could be refilled (practically, if not legally), but the materials used were so prone to corrosion, and otherwise they were so poorly designed, it was always iffy. The Flame King system and canisters were much better suited to the task. There were issues, but more predictable and better controlled. The biggest problem I found was the inherent explosive, or tissue-damaging freezing nature of propane, if a leak did occur. I had several.

What's legal in Oz, I haven't a clue.

Tilting the canister on its side, of any size, so liquid vs gas propane is being transferred is an issue for some carburetors/appliances. Most work well if the canister is upright, and just gas is transferred.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Tim Gardner

Investigate taking the metal off both the top and bottom. If you can take a little off the top (i sound like I'm at the Barber now) and then off the bottom to get to the 1cm needing removing, that might work.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

johnno

Quote from: Tim Gardner on May 13, 2022, 09:05:11 AM
Investigate taking the metal off both the top and bottom. If you can take a little off the top (i sound like I'm at the Barber now) and then off the bottom to get to the 1cm needing removing, that might work.

That's a good thought too Tim, thanks.