a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What Is This For?

Started by KSJ, January 19, 2022, 06:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KSJ

I finally have my  new (to me) 1988 C16 in my garage. In the cockpit on the starboard side between the bench and the gunnel is a plastic cutout. I don't see it anywhere in the original manual. It looks factory to me. Can anyone tell me what it's for?? I still have to pick up the tiller that belongs with the boat and, as I recall, it has an extension on it. The extension has a ball end - could this be used to capture the extension to hold it amidships??

Cruzin

Congrats on the new yacht! Is the hole have a cover on it like a screw n lid? Size? It doesn't sound like factory to me but I am not sure if I understand where the hole is located. Sometimes owners will cut a hole to repair, install or tighten something and then cover it with an access cover. On the extension sometimes the end will have a ball shape to fit it in a holder or to add more extension length with an additional piece. It could be just for a better grip.

Put some photos up so we can see the new boat! Have fun!

Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Cats Paw

;) Sure sounds like some sort of a beverage holder to me. ;D

KSJ

Sorry for the delayed response - Omicron has struck. Attached is a picture wich is - of course - worth more than words(!),

crazycarl

it's somewhat of a tiller lock.  it's for a tiller extender.  while sailing, it allows you to temporarily set the tiller for hands free sailing.  the end of the tiller extender fits in the receptacle. 
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Scott_S

Looks to me like it is mounted upside down. I would think you would insert the ball on the end of the tiller extension into the wide part of the hole (should be on top) and then let the ball drop down into the narrow part so it will not come out.

Hope that helps.

Happy Sailing. :-)
Scott
'83 Com-Pac 16, Sunfish, Com-Pac Picnic Cat, '96 Com-Pac 16CB Raven

KSJ

All

That's what I thought it was for. However, the ball is too big to fit. Thanks for the West picture - at least now I have a starting point to make it serviceable!

Ken