Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone install a windlass?

Started by pbrenton, December 09, 2021, 10:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbrenton

Hi Folks

I am considering installing a windlass.  My "First Mate" complains about the anchor on the CP 23, and I'm planning a bigger anchor (obviously) on my new-to-me CP 27.  In my case there are two hawse holes through the deck to the anchor locker and a double roller on the bowsprit, not sure if that's stock or an add on, certainly the second roller looks like it was added, but hard to tell.  It might be that a windlass will require sacrificing the second hawse hole.

It does not look like there's a lot of room for a windlass, but I'm hoping someone will have a pic of an installed one here.

Thanks!

Pete B, CP 23 "Ella J" soon-to-be-owner of CP 27 "Last Mango"
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA

Cruzin

Hi Pete,
I have a fleet of Compacs and currently planning to install a Lewmar V700 on my 87-27. I only have one oval hawsepipe that I think is original and one bow roller on the starboard side. I checked with Compac and they suggested installing where the main bow cleat is currently located. I had considered just forward of this but to the starboard side to align with the bow roller. After consulting with the factory I feel their suggestion is a better placement. The location is already reinforced with a plywood backing encapsulated in fiberglass and has a relatively smooth underside of the deck. It will also allow a more direct and spacious fall for the anchor chain and line. I will post pics when I get it done. Share your ideas and let me know your plans. A bigger first mate is always an idea!

Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Steve H

I noticed a 2004 CP 27/3 for sale in Anacortes, WA and took a couple of pictures of the windlass for you. I don't know any of the details.

I have a manual windlass on my 27/2, but it is covered in snow right now. I'll post a couple of pictures when it warms up a little bit in here in Colorado.
'94 Com-Pac 27
"Molly Brown"