News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Our 19 won't feel the water against her hull this year.

Started by crazycarl, June 07, 2022, 04:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

She's been sitting on her trailer under cover since April of last year.  This past January I brought her to the rental and buffed her topside and polished all her stainless.  The interior was given a full detail.  My intention was to place her at our dock.  However, the brackish waters worried me as there isn't fresh water at the lot to flush the outboard after use.  The lot is to be cleared of trees next Wednesday so she'll have to be brought to the rental.  I could trailer her the 1 mile to the public ramp to sail her, but I doubt I will.  So, she'll be under cover until the house is completed.  Until then we have the other boat to sail.  I do miss sailing a small boat.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

crazycarl

I brought her to the rental today.  Opening her up I found 6 tree frogs taking up residence.  I guess that's good, no bugs to deal with.  There was about 3" off water in her bilge which is very uncommon.  So uncommon I removed the electric bilge pump years ago.  I ran some water over her deck and didn't see anything coming in.  Spraying her down with a high pressure hose and just a slight trickle appeared.  It looks to be coming from the genoa tracks on both sides.  Plenty of screw holes there.  Time to re-bed them.  Now the hard part, finding someone who can hold a screwdriver topsides while I'm sweltering below. 

moonlight

Carl, that outboard will run in brackish water longer than you'll need it to.  Go sail.  (See other post about the Loop).  I imagine after a steady few days of West Wind, and a healthy rain or two, your water is 99.9% fresh up in Oriental.

crazycarl

I've been told the fresh water doesn't come into play in the Neuse until the railroad bridge in New Bern.  That has to be 40 miles up river.

Damsel19

crazycarl

Quote from: Damsel19 on August 30, 2022, 04:14:26 PM
Maybe rig up a tarp and a rain barrel.

I would need a swimming pool with all the rain we get here.  Last week we received over 4" and yesterday 1" in 20 minutes.  The 19 is sitting on it's trailer with the mast and boom up.  The boom tent does a great job of keeping the water from getting inside.  I was going to take the grandson sailing on the Seidelmann, but found both batteries dead.  I left the main switch on along with the instruments, and the solar charge controller failed at the same time.  A new one is on order and the batteries are in the garage on a "repair" charge.  There is a concert on the water this weekend so I need to get things operable.