a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Location of Traveler and Sheet

Started by Christopher, December 16, 2021, 10:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Has anyone sailed a newer and older Suncat?  What is your opinion of having the traveler and sheet mounted behind the cockpit coaming in the stearn versus having it on the bridge deck?  I have an older Suncat with it on the bridge deck.  I'm not sure I would like it mounted in the stearn.  I'm curious as to what other Suncat sailors experience and opinion is? 

Eddie C

I have owned a Suncat with the traveler on the bridge deck and a Sundaycat with the stern mounted mainsheets. Both systems work well (in my opinion). The stern mount is well out of the way, can easily be adjusted from either side but does require a very long mainsheet which can take a while to haul in when on a run. The bridge deck system intrudes minimally on cockpit space. I feel it is worth it - sail control is better and there is no real need for a vang . On the Sundaycat I added a vang for downwind sailing - the mainsheet has very little downward pull when running. Overall I prefer the bridge deck system but it would not work on the Sundaycat due to the long cockpit.

Christopher

Eddie,
Thanks for your input.  Good info.  I was also thinking about the impact of having a bimini up as well with the stern setup?

Eddie C

I had biminis on both boats and they both worked fine. On the Suncat the mainsheet was in front of the bimini and on the Sundaycat it was behind. No problems with either.