News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Preparing my '23 for sale, should I fix the trailer?

Started by pbrenton, November 02, 2021, 05:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbrenton

Hi Folks,

I'm moving up to a Compac 27 if all goes well.  I want to go for a week at a time and the 23 is just a bit too tight in my 10+ years of experience for a nice Maine coast cruise. 

"Ella J" is an 84 Compac 23/II and I have the trailer - or rather, I have the frame, tires and three axles in good shape.   the trailer needs a lot of work to be road ready; new winch tower, tongue/coupling, brakes, electrical, and one wheel needs to be welded.  I'm guessing 1 Boat Unit ($1,000) to make it ready for safe use.  I have kept the tires indoors so they are "fine".  The trailer frame itself seems like it just came from the factory, good galvanizing on those things, and I have annually coated the moving bits in grease to keep things that aren't bad from corroding.  It was dipped in the Atlantic a few times over the years, of course. 

One more wrinkle, this boat is currently on an island.  If I were to transport the trailer to a repair shop then set her up at a yard on the mainland for selling then visiting her would be much simpler proposition.  If I don't then people would need to take a ferry to look at the boat, which I think would make selling her a lot harder and take a lot longer.

Any advice is welcome.  As are offers.  From other postings of a Compac this age its likely to sell for around $3k alone and maybe $3500 with the trailer, but that's a wild-ass guess.

Pete.
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA

Seachelle