Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

27/2 Heads that fit

Started by RileyBoo, August 20, 2021, 01:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RileyBoo

Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a 1990 27/2 and the head is currently inoperable.  No bueno, I need to have a functional head to get her home as it will take a few days travel.  I can rebuild or replace, and looking at it, it has been in there for awhile, so probably time for a replace.  Getting the old one apart to rebuild may be more trouble than it is worth...I see a few rusty bolts.

The current head looks like a Groco HF. It has the discharge straight out the back thru the bulkhead.  The new Groco HF have a discharge pipe that is a 90 that swivels. Not sure if that will work for me, so if I get another Groco HF, I may have to scavenge the outlet pipe off the old one.

If you have replaced your head, what brand/model did you use? My biggest concern is does it fit the area properly and does the shower seat still fit over the top of it?  Were there any issues getting it installed?

I'm assuming that there is a wooden substructure beneath the head to bolt to without worries about getting into the hull (within reason of course).

Thanks!
RileyBoo
RileyBoo, Eau Gallie, FL
1990 Compac 27/2

BobK

I also  have a 27/2 that I used a Jabsco twist and lock compact height manual flush toilet as a replacement.  The height as the same as the head that as replaced and works well with the fold down shower seat.  Using  Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose made the job a lot easier since it is much more flexible than standard hose.
BobK

wes

No wood structure underneath, but there's a gap between the fiberglass floor of the toilet platform and the actual hull, maybe 3" or so. You can get your hand under there from the engine compartment.

I installed a freshwater head (Raritan Marine Elegance) which is plumbed straight down. Since the head incorporates a macerating pump, it only needs a 1" waste hose which made the turn with no problem. It would have been difficult or impossible with a 1.5" hose.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

RileyBoo

BobK,

Thanks for the response.

Did you have to install a vented loop on the inlet side between the pump and the bowl as shown in Jabsco install instructions? The current head has some device that sits about seat high behind the head and the inlet line from the thru-hull attaches to that.  Doesn't appear to be high enough to be a vent, but I'm not that familiar with the boat yet as far as where the waterline is relative to the head.

It does have a vented loop for the discharge, so good there.
RileyBoo, Eau Gallie, FL
1990 Compac 27/2

BobK

I have a vented loop on the discharge side but not on the intake.  The beauty of the twist lock is it acts as an on - off valve.  When twisted closed I get no additional water into the head.
BobK