a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast Crutch Pin

Started by slode, August 30, 2021, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

Do any Eclipse owners use a pin on their mast crutch at the stub when trailering?  My mast doesn't have a hole in it for a pin, but the crutch does.  In the manual it shows there should be a pin put through the crutch and mast to secure it in position when lowered for trailering.  I question the durability of a 1/4" pin to hold that kind of load without bending and becoming difficult or impossible to remove.  I have always just strapped the mast to the crutch.  But that does tend to allow the mast to twist/lean to one side.  I am thinking of drilling through the mast to be able to pin it to the crutch but wanted to get someone's real world experience with this.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Eddie C

I?m a previous Eclipse owner. The mast definitely had a hole and pin to secure it to the hinge for trailering. When I bought the boat (used) we had a 9 hour trip home. After that I trailered only a few miles twice per year. The pin never bent and didn?t seem to bind. I did secure the mast ends with ropes and bungees. The pin system seemed strong and secure. Eddie C.

alsantini

There is a pin and it goes through the mast and the crutch.  I generally put a small bungee through the eyelet of the pin and the curved pin that holds the crutch in place.  I am at the boat on Thursday and will take a pic of the hole so you get an idea where it is.  But, if the mast is nested within the length of the boat, that is where the hole is.  Sail On,  Al